AS - 606T , future replacement candidate?

Interested in our products? Please post any inquiries here.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

Rainz
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

AS - 606T , future replacement candidate?

Post by Rainz »

I got my 606T in 2013 and I do not know if 10 years is within the life expectancy but considering I maxed out RAM many years ago and the development of new products I wonder what you guys would consider as a decent replacement?

I do not use any apps or functions but storage and never had any hiccups with the NAS itself. I dismantle and clean it every year and have done three disk upgrades to current capacity of 6 x 4TB in RAID6.

Guessing a LOCKERSTOR 6 Gen2 (AS6706T) would be the natural successor? But, it is a lot more expensive... 1000 €... jeez...
Nazar78

Re: AS - 606T , future replacement candidate?

Post by Nazar78 »

TBH I won't upgrade, that's still a decent NAS for storage only purposes unless of course you're looking to upgrade to NVMe (mostly used for fast app storage) and/or 2.5/10G links.
AS5304T - 16GB DDR4 - ADM-OS modded on 2GB RAM
Internal:
- 4x10TB Toshiba RAID10 Ext4-Journal=Off
External 5 Bay USB3:
- 4x2TB Seagate modded RAID0 Btrfs-Compression
- 480GB Intel SSD for modded dm-cache (initramfs auto update patch) and Apps

When posting, consider checking the box "Notify me when a reply is posted" to get faster response
Rainz

Post by Rainz »

That good eh?
Well, I am not really depending on higher transfer speeds or I/O. It works and works very well, planning additional upgrade of disks to 6 x 6TB in RAID6.
Just hope Asustor will keep OS updates coming, or that might become a problem. The device do not seem to be compatible with ADM 4, running 3.5.9.
Nazar78

Post by Nazar78 »

I wouldn't say that good as I don't like the performance of the Intel Atom on one of my old notebook. But as long as you can get sufficient 1Gbps throughput (ethernet/LAGG+disks) that's enough for data storage.

ADM 3.5.9.RWM1 last updated 2022-08-29, close to 10 years of software updates is excellent but eventually these devices will reach its EOL due to lack of support such as kernel. You can however be adventurous by looking for alternatives like running a different OS but that's another story altogether.

But for now I would say it's still doing a good job for your intended purposes which is mainly for data storage.
AS5304T - 16GB DDR4 - ADM-OS modded on 2GB RAM
Internal:
- 4x10TB Toshiba RAID10 Ext4-Journal=Off
External 5 Bay USB3:
- 4x2TB Seagate modded RAID0 Btrfs-Compression
- 480GB Intel SSD for modded dm-cache (initramfs auto update patch) and Apps

When posting, consider checking the box "Notify me when a reply is posted" to get faster response

Return to “Presales”