Nimbustor successor planned?

Interested in our products? Please post any inquiries here.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

hertie
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Nimbustor successor planned?

Post by hertie »

Hi,

my AS5002 is getting a little old and I am looking for a replacement. I was eying the Nimbustor Series but the two seem a little old themselves, being a 2019 breed.

Is there an updated version planned?

Thanks,
hertie
Nazar78

Re: Nimbustor successor planned?

Post by Nazar78 »

Not sure if there's any updated version planned but the Nimbustor series albeit a 2019 model it still packs a punch, minus M.2 NVMe. The Nimbustor4 was one of my best investment in 2019 till now. On top of being a data storage and media server (via Jellyfin to my Samsung 65" TV), I also have tons of apps running, websites, Ubuntu Desktop (modded Jammy via the Linux Center) and even a real-time game client streamer (via Moonlight through my gaming rig RTX3080 in the room to play, usually Street Fighter 5 or Fifa 2019, in the living room with multiple BT/USB gamepads on the Samsung 65" TV). I don't think I'll be upgrading anytime soon, don't need NVMe on the NAS as my network is only 2.5G, perhaps till DDR5 made common to NASes.

See the comparison, the Nimbustors are not far off the Lockerstors, 2 bays https://www.asustor.com/product/comparision/70/72/61/68, 4 bays https://www.asustor.com/product/comparision/71/73/62/69.

"getting a little old" as in getting slower or you need more storage space? IMHO it's still good enough for current demand, upgrade the RAM, expand the storage using USB enclosures as I did. But if you're already planning to upgrade and have the budget, the Lockerstor Gen2 seems a good choice due to its better CPU and of course NVMe.
AS5304T - 16GB DDR4 - ADM-OS modded on 2GB RAM
Internal:
- 4x10TB Toshiba RAID10 Ext4-Journal=Off
External 5 Bay USB3:
- 4x2TB Seagate modded RAID0 Btrfs-Compression
- 480GB Intel SSD for modded dm-cache (initramfs auto update patch) and Apps

When posting, consider checking the box "Notify me when a reply is posted" to get faster response
hertie

Post by hertie »

Thx Nazar, very helpful. Jellyfin is an application I am running as well and I am looking for 4k transcoding ability. Is that possible?

"Getting a little old" refers to the time left in upgrades it receives. My current NAS does not receive any feature upgrades anymore, just security upgrades. Not sure if there is a set amount of years that each model receives upgrades. But I guess a 2022 model will get them longer than a 2019 model. And I plan to buy one for a number of years.

The Lockerstor Gen2 is interesting. I'll consider that.
Last edited by hertie on Mon Oct 31, 2022 5:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nazar78

Post by Nazar78 »

hertie wrote:Thx Nazar, very helpful. Jellyfin is an application I am running as well and I am looking for 4k transcoding ability. Is that possible?
NP, the two links comparison charts I've provided earlier are capable of doing 4K hardware transcoding (VA-API), particularly H.265(HEVC). Refer to my screenshot of JF (JellyFin) 4K transcoding on my Nimbustor4 to my 2K desktop monitor. Previously I was using a self compiled ffmpeg that's capable of doing the JF 4K 120mbps auto transcoding, but recent JF versions seems to broke it so I switched to the JF distribution ffmpeg but I'm limited to only 1080p 20mbps going higher it will buffer. I've no time to debug it as most of the time now I'm doing Direct Play for huge bitrates 100-150Mbps locally and only transcode to Wi-Fi/external clients.
Screenshot 2022-10-31 042115.png
Screenshot 2022-10-31 042115.png (52.44 KiB) Viewed 3586 times
Internal:
External 5 Bay USB3:

When posting, consider checking the box "Notify me when a reply is posted" to get faster response
Nazar78

Post by Nazar78 »

My bad, just did a quick check, the issue I was having is due to recently acquired videos that's 4K 150Mbps 60fps, 4K 100Mbps 30fps transcoded just fine.
Internal:
External 5 Bay USB3:

Return to “Presales”