Asustor 6702t need info on options

Interested in our products? Please post any inquiries here.
Seanb
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Asustor 6702t need info on options

Post by Seanb »

Hi, I am getting a 6702t NAS. It's my first. I can't easily find how I can option it, including the Asustor accessories web space.

The 6702t comes with 4 GB RAM. Can I add a second 4 GB stick to get 8, can I replace the 4 GB RAM module with an 8 GB one, or are both possible? What kind of RAM? For example, is it enough just to find DDR 4 3200 RAM or is there a length needed? Is this error correcting or not?

Next, I think I want some M2 SSDs for caching. I couldn't find these at all on the Asustor website. I know there are four slots. Can I get one or do I need a pair? Is 250 GB okay for these as I am only using them for caching with 8 TB of Seagate HDD? Is Gen 4 okay or must I get Gen 3? Do I need NAND? What brand or will any fit? For example, Western Digital Red, Samsung 970, or for caching, perhaps just get the lowest price?

Can I power off the NAS at any time to install these upgrades or do they need to be in place before I set up the unit (using Raid 1) and add data?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Seanb

Re: Asustor 6702t need info on options

Post by Seanb »

Oh, and can I add an 8GB ram stick to the existing 4 GB RAM? I looked through the user guide, which is downloadable, and didn't find any clarity.

Thoughts appreciated.
father.mande

Post by father.mande »

Hi,
Seanb wrote:Oh, and can I add an 8GB ram stick to the existing 4 GB RAM? I looked through the user guide, which is downloadable, and didn't find any clarity.

Thoughts appreciated.
Yes it's possible to have mixed memory like 4GB and 8GB on second slot
Max is 16GB (better is 2 x 8GB)
hardware spec. for your model : https://www.asustor.com/product/spec?p_id=76

Compatibility list ... list all memory (select for your model/series) tested by Asustor or user ... but other can be used just take care on specifications ...
Comp. list : https://www.asustor.com/service/memory?id=memory&lan=en

For ex. on my AS6602T (Lockerstore gen 1) I have 16GB 2x8GB Crucial CT8G4SFRA266.C8FN

Philippe.
AS6602T / AS5202T /AS5002T / AS1002T / FS6706T
Seanb

Post by Seanb »

Brilliant response, thank you. I ordered an 8 GB module. Both lists are short for "67" series NAS, like the AS 6702t that I am getting.

For RAM, do I need laptop RAM? I think so? I've ordered Crucial RAM 8GB DDR4 3200MHz CL22 (or 2933MHz or 2666MHz) Laptop Memory CT8G4SFRA32A and hope it fits. The dimensions and speed seem to match. I will go with 12 GB based on your post. :)

The compatibility list has no 67-series NAS other than Apacer, Asustor (though nothing is available through Asustor) and Lexar. I got two of these in hopes they work: .Western Digital 500GB WD Red SN700 NVMe Internal Solid State Drive SSD for NAS Devices - Gen3 PCIe, M.2 2280, Up to 3,430 MB/s - WDS500G1R0C. That is more than I wanted; I only wanted 250 GB modules, but I bought what was available. Hopefully, I can enable reading and writing!

Question: Can I just install these before I turn the whole thing on and begin setup?

Also, please let me know if I screwed up. Asustor documentation seems a bit lacking.:( (For a fee, I can fix it! :) )
father.mande

Post by father.mande »

Hi,

I am not from Asustor team ... so nothing I write is official ... and it's a user point of view ... so certainly incorrect on some points
For the memory :
https://downloadgb.asustor.com/download ... 1661680915
and
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9qPZQc ... =ASUSTORTV

My opinion ... it's only my opinion ... is always start with memory provide for installation and add an extension or replacement AFTER when all is OK and ADM run ...
just know that the configuration (including swap) is NOT modified by the memory installed.
so don't mix problem ... one at a time

For disk or SSD Asustor can't test ALL disks or SSD available on the market ... so you have lot of chance that any disks or SSD with the correct characteristics & in the same family as other disks or SSD tested ... that all run as well
Just 2 points (same only my opinion)
... using SSD as "normal disks" (not cache) is possible by require valued SSD and not first price ...
... don't forgot that SSD can be hot (when intensive usage ...) so sometimes modules with radiator can be necessary (take care on size (height) available ...

my own conf 6602T ... is 2 SSD in Raid1 at ADM disk and hot data and 2 large HDD for less used data ... the result is a very good response time and boot time.

Philippe.
AS6602T / AS5202T /AS5002T / AS1002T / FS6706T

Return to “Presales”