Restoring data

Interested in our products? Please post any inquiries here.
MadDogDean
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Restoring data

Post by MadDogDean »

Last question for today, I promise :)

I travel quite a bit and need to have the NAS with me. Rather than chancing my drives in checked luggage, I am considering to remove them from the NAS and pop them in my carry-on.

If the, not so inevitable, loss of luggage occurs, are the disks accessible on a PC? I read somewhere about booting to a Linux Live CD, mounting the drive, etc, but I don't expect this will work if the 2 drives are part of a Raid 10?

What options exist to read the disks if the NAS case is gone, either a RAID array or JBOD?? (At least until a new one can be purchased...)

Cheers
orion

Re: Restoring data

Post by orion »

If you are familiar with Linux, yes, you can mount those disks (for example, under Ubuntu). If you want to prevent this behavior, you can create encrypted shared folders. In this way, you can protect your data. However it means that you'll lose your data if you forget password.

If NAS is gone, you can buy another asustor NAS, put those old disks into this new NAS. Turn it on. Your data should be ready (of course, you'll need password to access encrypted folders).
MadDogDean

Post by MadDogDean »

Thanks again @orion.
I've never used RAID arrays either.
If two disks are parts of a striped array, I am guessing recovery as above or through any means other than getting a new NAS is out of the question?
orion

Post by orion »

As I said, if you are familiar with Linux, you can mount those disks on a PC running Ubuntu. More precisely, "mdadm" command.

However if you create encrypted folders, you might not be able to get your data back using a PC (even if you know the password). After all, I'm not sure which open sources that ADM applies to encrypt data.
MadDogDean

Post by MadDogDean »

Time to learn Ubuntu. Thanks

Return to “Presales”