Real world data transfer rates

Interested in our products? Please post any inquiries here.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

MadDogDean
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Real world data transfer rates

Post by MadDogDean »

Considering getting an AS6604T, populating with 4x Ironwolf Pro 16TB drives.
My Asus laptop has a specific Thunderbolt 3/USB C connection, spec'd to support 40Gb/s

I am looking to add either a 5GBASE-T or 10GBASE-T USB ethernet adapter and connect through the Asustor 2.5G switch. A single Cat6 from the usb/ethernet adapter to the switch and 2 Cat6 from the NAS to the switch. All cables less than 1.5 m length

What can I expect for "real world" transfer speeds of common files (ranging between 100MB to 1GB)?

I am just wondering if the 2.5G switch and the 5BASE-T will make much difference over a single 2.5G connection.

Thanks for any thoughts & input.
orion

Re: Real world data transfer rates

Post by orion »

Why not choose Asustor 2.5GbE USB dongle? Then, NB <-> switch <-> NAS can work at full 2.5G speed.
MadDogDean

Post by MadDogDean »

Hey @orion, thanks for the reply.
I actually have never used any NAS in the past, strictly USB external HDD. I know than LAN speeds are slower than USB so am looking to ensure once I go with a NAS I don't see a net drop in the speeds.
I was basing my idea of 5Gbe based on the Asustor website and the infographic, demonstrating Link Aggregation.

Cheers
Attachments
2.<br />2.5Gbe * 2
2.5Gbe * 2
5Gbe.jpg (90.53 KiB) Viewed 3042 times
orion

Post by orion »

Link aggregation is normally used in the environment with multiple users working at the same time. It's good for company or workgroup. I don't think it's a good idea for home user.
MadDogDean

Post by MadDogDean »

Thanks! That means more money for drives :)
AndyM

Post by AndyM »

Thanks for the lead Orion - I just put an order in for it. Heads up - the AS-U2.5G is listed as discontinued on the Asustor site; they are now selling the AS-U2.5G2.
Cheers

Return to “Presales”