JBOD usage - LOCKERSTOR8 (AS6508T)

Interested in our products? Please post any inquiries here.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

gxdata
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

JBOD usage - LOCKERSTOR8 (AS6508T)

Post by gxdata »

Some beginners' questions here ...

I'm not clear on the filesystem used for the 8 SATA3 HDD that can be inserted.
Have downloaded and read the user guide, quick guide and it appears that these are regarded as "internal" (as are the SSD, if used), and I am assuming that they cannot be existing NTFS drives with data that I want to retain.
If I did put one of those HDD into a drive bay, I assume that it will be automatically formatted to Btrfs

Is all of the above correct?

I have a dozen or so HDD from 1TB to 10TB. Most are 2TB, WD or Seagate, some Seagate FireCuda. These are NOT empty drives at present.
Since I am not planning to use any form of RAID initially, I think I can mix different capacities in the 8 bays.

So, is my solution to initially put a couple of new larger HDD into bays 1,2 - and connect the above-mentioned disks with data in NTFS format via the external eSata port, or to connect them to my Windows 10 system and copy the data onto the new HDD on thee NAS, via Windows?
orion

Re: JBOD usage - LOCKERSTOR8 (AS6508T)

Post by orion »

No, you cannot use the existing (not created by NAS ADM) disks in the internal bay.
However you can put those disks on the USB port of the NAS. Then you can copy the data on those USB disks to NAS.
gxdata

Re: JBOD usage - LOCKERSTOR8 (AS6508T)

Post by gxdata »

So, I would have to EITHER connect via the USB port (using a USB-connected external "dock" with SATA - I have an Orico unit) - OR, as I mentioned in my post - use "empty" SATA disks in the ASUSTOR and copy each "full" NTFS HDD somehow from an attchment to the Windows 10 machine when it is connected to the NAS.

very clunky alternatives.

Return to “Presales”