Which is quieter in operation:

Interested in our products? Please post any inquiries here.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

k1s
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Which is quieter in operation:

Post by k1s »

Hello

Which is quieter in operation: AS5304T or AS6602T or AS6604T?

The comparison table doesn't give any details.

For AS6604Tand AS5304Tthe product pages say: 19 Decibels for Standby and 32 for Operation and "Library".
- What is "Library"?
- is it really 32dB and not dB(A)?

The product page for AS6602T says 17.7dB for idle but has no figures for operation or "Library".

Some reviews like this and this say the noise is a problem for AS6602T. Others don't mention it.

Anybody here with first hand experience?
orion

Re: Which is quieter in operation:

Post by orion »

2-bay FAN (diameter) is smaller than 4-bay FAN. To dispatch the same amount of heat, 2-bay FAN should spin faster. So I think 4-bay model is quieter.

However, based on my opinion, the major noises should come from HDDs (3.5" disk motor), rather than NAS itself. Of course, it depends on HDD brands and HDD models. I guess you are sensitive to noise (the same as me). I'll recommend you to choose 4-bay model, and use one SSD to create volume-1, and prepare another 3 HDDs to create RAID-5 volume-2 (you can setup one disk first, then add the others latter when you need more capacity). I setup this configuration and I'm satisfied with it, very quiet.
k1s

Post by k1s »

@orion thanks for your quick reply.
orion wrote:2-bay FAN (diameter) is smaller than 4-bay FAN. To dispatch the same amount of heat, 2-bay FAN should spin faster. So I think 4-bay model is quieter.
Normally I would expect the same but the claimed idle noise is significantly quieter if indeed it is dBA they're quoting (17.7 vs 19 would be logarithmic)
orion wrote:...the major noises should come from HDDs...I'll recommend you ...use one SSD to create volume-1, and prepare another 3 HDDs to create RAID-5 volume-2.
I had thought to use either 2 SSDs in a 2-bay or slower HDDs in a 4 bay. Why do you suggest HDDs in a 2nd volume? Is the assumption not to use the 2nd volume as much?
orion

Post by orion »

k1s wrote: Normally I would expect the same but the claimed idle noise is significantly quieter if indeed it is dBA they're quoting (17.7 vs 19 would be logarithmic)
"Idle" means no activities and no HDDs. I usually ignore this case. I setup many services in my NAS and it's hard to keep this kind of idle state. And both 17.7 and 19 should be quiet enough for me.
k1s wrote: I had thought to use either 2 SSDs in a 2-bay or slower HDDs in a 4 bay. Why do you suggest HDDs in a 2nd volume? Is the assumption not to use the 2nd volume as much?
No. There are many services accessing my volume-1 all the time even if I do not use NAS. That's fine for me (SSD generates no sound). I put all of my important data to volume-2. After I don't access NAS for a while (note: services are still in ready state), volume-2 HDDs will go to sleep state (motor is turned off). Of course, I enable this feature within ADM settings.
k1s

Post by k1s »

orion wrote:"Idle" means no activities and no HDDs
Yes of course - that's why I asked the question. Unlike the other two NASs Asus's product info isn't showing the actual operational noise from this unit. Does anyone here actually know how loud it is?
chris.e

Post by chris.e »

I can't talk about comparison but the AS5304T I have is as good as silent. (HDDs aside.)

Return to “Presales”