Mount VHD files on AS5304

Interested in our products? Please post any inquiries here.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

todortk
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Mount VHD files on AS5304

Post by todortk »

My current setup consists of several VHD files that contain heavily optimized NTFS file systems.
As I want to migrate to a NAS server, I need to know if it is possible to mount them within the NAS.
As long as I understand, the OS of the NAS is some kind of Linux and there are tools for mounting VHD files in linux, but are they compatible with the variant used by AS5304?
father.mande

Re: Mount VHD files on AS5304

Post by father.mande »

Hi,
todortk wrote:My current setup consists of several VHD files that contain heavily optimized NTFS file systems.
As I want to migrate to a NAS server, I need to know if it is possible to mount them within the NAS.
As long as I understand, the OS of the NAS is some kind of Linux and there are tools for mounting VHD files in linux, but are they compatible with the variant used by AS5304?
Not sure that Virtualbox (for Asustor NAS) is delivered with Virtualbox-fuse (fuse is provide by the NAS : API version 7.26
For my own I prefer to create a chroot Ubuntu env. (easy with debootstrap available on any Ubuntu / Debian distro. or in the NAS itself using Entware (opkg package)
... then install libguestfs-tools using apt in the chroot
... then use guestmount ... to mount your VHD image (ex. but use help to get your need : guestmount --add /mnt/remote/path/to/vhdfile.vhd --inspector --ro /mnt_of_chroot/vhd -v )
... ... attention, I never used them with NTFS ... but a tools exist to discover the file system in the vhd image (virt-filesystems)

BUT this require a minimum of Linux administration skills.
Perhaps other solution exist directly on the NAS or through Asustor support (open a ticket) ... I don't use this a lot of time, only one for solving a friend problem ... so certainly not the best ... but working.

Philippe.
AS6602T / AS5202T /AS5002T / AS1002T / FS6706T
todortk

Post by todortk »

How do I get libguestfs-tools on Asustor?
I tried with opkg, but the list command returns nothing like libguestfs or guestfs or anything.
apt doesn't seem available on asustor 5304, either.
I found apkg, but it didn't find libguestfs, too.
Any help would be appreciated.
father.mande

Post by father.mande »

Hi,

As I write, I use Ubuntu chroot (easy created through debootstrap (even from Entware) ... and libguest is provide in libguestfs-tools Ubuntu package
Entware / opkg can't help you except for creating the chroot (xenial for ex.) ... libguestsfs and other fuse tools are too specific and can't be linked with libfuse and "builtin" fuse from Asustor.

Philippe.
AS6602T / AS5202T /AS5002T / AS1002T / FS6706T

Return to “Presales”