AS6602T/6604T boot options

Interested in our products? Please post any inquiries here.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

costel
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

AS6602T/6604T boot options

Post by costel »

Hello,

Currently, I am using an AS5202T, booting Gentoo from an external USB SSD. In BIOS, eMMC is disabled.
I plan to buy an AS6602T or AS6604T model, if it is possible to boot from internal M.2 SSD (NVME only, if I'm not in error).
So, it is possible to boot from internal M.2 NVME SSD on AS6602/4T models ?

Thank you!
MadDogDean

Re: AS6602T/6604T boot options

Post by MadDogDean »

Bumping this thread.

Wondering the same. I have an AS6604T and want to do the same with the NVMe sticks and keep the drives for data only.

THoughts??
costel

Post by costel »

I send another ticket support to Asustor regarding this question. No much hopes, since is the second one ticket - no replay, ever from support.
Since you already have an unit, can you enter the bios (Esc key) and see if at boot options does nvme drives appear ?
This would mean, hopefully, that the unit is able to boot from internal SSD.

Given the recent DeadBolt issue and poor support (both Asustor and community) I am reluctant about acquisition.
Yes, every major NAS player is affected, from time to time, by such problems and majority of their packages are more or less outdated.
That's why I prefer to use my own OS.

I look forward to your reply, if you can look on it.
Thank you!
MadDogDean

Post by MadDogDean »

Hey costel,

I changed the config of my NAS as well. Originally I was planning to use my 2 NVMe as cache, but then the ADM gets installed n the first spinning drive (wasn't the plan) - Volume 1.

I pulled the drives, left the NVMe installed and did a hard reset. The 2 NVMe were setup as Volume 1 and ADM installed itself on there.

After the drives were reinstalled, for some reason, all 4 drives (2x RAID1 volumes) needed to be resynchronized. This took over 20 hours.

But at the end of the day, the NAS boots from the NVMe with no problems - actually boots a little quicker.
For my next trick I'm going to drop a few GB of data on the box, pull the drives, reset & reinitialize ADM and make sure the drives are again visible after the reset. No point in having backup data if it's non-recoverable...

About Asustor, I agree that their support is lacking. As I commented elsewhere, it appears that the consumer is not their main focus. The App Central offering seems outdated and lacking, and in general they lack a "consumer oriented focus" My guess (and completely uneducated, at that) is that the rack mounted systems are where they make the money, but the consumer boxes are a good testing ground.

Personally, I am having buyer's remorse on my AS6604T. The hardware and specs are unbeatable at the price, but not so much the soft side, - perhaps that why it was such a good price.

Time will tell, good luck!

PS. Here's a link to my other post:
https://forum.asustor.com/viewtopic.php?f=228&t=12708
costel

Post by costel »

Hello MadDogDean,

It is good that you realized what you wanted and, also, there were no data loss, only time.
I completely agree on your opinion regarding Asustor hardware and software.
But, your are still booting from internal MMC memory (8GB), there is where ADM kernel reside. Yes, the rest of OS is mirrored on NVME drive, apps are installed on NVME, so things are moving faster.
At first boot, or hard reset, ADM create Volume1 on first available disk.
My question was if it possible to put a different OS than ADM (Gentoo) on NVME drives and disable MCC using, but keep it intact for warranty purposes.
I know for sure that is possible to boot from external USB SSD on x86 units. I am doing this now. But USB interface is not optimal for OS.
Since you already have an 6604T unit I wonder if you are kind to look in BIOS if NVME drive appear as boot device.

Thank you!
MadDogDean

Post by MadDogDean »

Hey costel,
Okay, now I understand what you are asking about. I am not sure about another OS on the NVMe for boot and in the MMC. This is my first NAS and my only ever first step into Linux :shock:

I don't even know how to view the output of the machine while it is booting, I am guessing I need to connect a monitor to the HDMI port, but I don't have anything in the area of the NAS to do this.

I expect that someone may know much more than me on the subject. Unfortunately, I can only tell you that it boots fine from the NVMe, but I can't help you to figure out the boot portion, sorry.

Cheers,
MadDogDean
costel

Post by costel »

Hello MadDogDean,

No problem at all. If you are unfamiliar with this details, don't take risks, it is best to keep your data safe.
Thank you for all your support!
costel

Post by costel »

I finally bite the bullet and ordered two units, AS6604T for me and AS6602T for a friend.
Both are able to boot from internal NVME controller - ASMedia.

!!! WARNING !!!
I was told by Asustor support that warranty will be void if I boot something else than ADM. In fact, ADM remain untouched and unused. You can always return to ADM, if you like it.

The device have to be connected to a display via an HDMI cable a keyboard and a mouse.
When keyboard became active you have to press Esc to Enter the BIOS.
Next steps I won't present them here, if you don't know what to do next, *better do nothing*.

Return to “Presales”