Solved: Hardware Acceleration / Transcoding Jellyfin

Jellyfin is the Free Software Media System that puts you in control of managing and streaming your media. There are no strings attached, no premium licenses or features, and no hidden agendas.
hertie
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Post by hertie »

Dear all,

I was trying to get Hardware Transcoding to work on Jellyfin.

https://jellyfin.org/docs/general/admin ... ation.html

In order for it to work, Jellyfin needs to access the FFmpeg directory. FFmpeg of course is installed via App Central.

The problem is, I can not choose the path to the FFmpeg directory within Jellyfin. Probably the same problem like here: viewtopic.php?f=233&t=10688

That is why I can not get hardware transcoding to run.

Does someone have an idea how to work around?

Best,
hertie
Last edited by hertie on Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hertie

Post by hertie »

Well, using my head sometimes works. Instead of accessing FFmpeg outside of docker I deployed FFmpeg inside of docker. Captain Obvious :!:

Using Portainer viewtopic.php?f=233&t=10658 I downloaded and installed a FFmpeg release (https://hub.docker.com/r/jrottenberg/ffmpeg) and told Jellyfin to use it. Done.

Have fun
hertie
marp

Re: Solved: Hardware Acceleration / Transcoding Jellyfin

Post by marp »

Can you explain how you connected jellyfin to the ffmpeg inside the docker?
hertie

Re: Solved: Hardware Acceleration / Transcoding Jellyfin

Post by hertie »

I believe in the latest jellyfin (10.7.x) release it is no longer necessary to install an extra ffmpeg version. It has its own version on board.

In the Transcoding settings (admin login) I have the VAAPI transcoding activated. Further below there is path that needs to inserted to the ffmepeg folder. my path reads /usr/lib/jellyfin-ffmpeg/ffmpeg and I think it was there by default

Return to “Jellyfin”