Paid solution for audio problems Kodi

Got a feature request? Great! Post your ideas here!

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

Rexus_Maximus
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Paid solution for audio problems Kodi

Post by Rexus_Maximus »

I light of resend developments I think it's a foul play that Asustor dropped support for Kodi without a good solution. It was there main selling point(for me) and not having a proper video player(openPHT is very slow and unstable and even that app does not play all sound) in de Asustor Portal makes the HDMI and Asustor Portal redundant in my opinion(and makes the NAS more expensive). Not cool at all. But that is the situation. And I somewhat understand it(license issues).

So perhaps a paid app is a solution? Or making the license issue a paid solution?
At this point i'm willing to pay for a good working video player in the Asustor Portal.

Hope there is a solution in the works...
itdaboyz

Re: Paid solution for audio problems Kodi

Post by itdaboyz »

Don't we already paid for this when we bought the NAS?
Not our fault if Asustor misused the license or if Dolby changed the terms.
Asustor changed this without a working solution or really telling us what is happening and that sucks for the user.
father.mande

Post by father.mande »

Hi,
itdaboyz wrote:Don't we already paid for this when we bought the NAS?
Not our fault if Asustor misused the license or if Dolby changed the terms.
Asustor changed this without a working solution or really telling us what is happening and that sucks for the user.
Nothing is simple ...
Some company (Dolby ?) don't work anymore to add new product and functionality ... so they decide (before the software will be public) to use law to get licence ... it's a common things for company without any new development and new offer ...
After not be able for open source software do obtain money for libraries not developed by us ... they use a new approach (certainly due to protect law in U.S. ?) it's to require to hardware provider a licence to used a list of program able to use their technologies when this hardware provider include in their own offer some software ... including kodi, serviio, etc.
AND the cost of the licence seem to NOT be linked to each system sold ... but as a global (and enormous) value.

So including a simple licence for each NAS seem possible with a reduce cost if licence is by system ... BUT if it's global (so including potential system sold even not supporting the software) ... it's simply impossible.

So the only solution is :
for System provider (not only Asustor) to cancel ALL the software to keep only hardware (even not usable)
and for external to provider independent developer, to do a port of an open source software WITHOUT modification in the code source ... and for free ... to be independent of the hardware ... and without any profit.

It's the actual working solution done on other NAS brand for ex. by independent port of kodi 17 and 18
Other developer team ... for ex. Plex team use another approach first ... don't provide Player for Linux except as source code not generated ... (Plex Media Player) and in a second point ... run audio conversion by default from original licensed product (so not playing it) even using pass-through stay able to play it on an external sound system.
Plex Media Server is available on Asustor ... because it's 100% the source code but provide for free as independent software (free as before ... to don't fall in a paid mechanism where everything is possible) .

So, just, please don't think that it's easy and a voluntary act from Asustor :roll:

Philippe.
AS6602T / AS5202T /AS5002T / AS1002T / FS6706T
itdaboyz

Post by itdaboyz »

Maybe not easy, but communication is easy and Asustor lacked a lot in this.
If you want the users to understand, you need to explain them. They just said they stopped Kodi but without any explanation...

How other hardware are not concerned by this ? My computer, my smartphone and my rpi can still play without any issue.
father.mande

Post by father.mande »

Hi,
itdaboyz wrote:Maybe not easy, but communication is easy and Asustor lacked a lot in this.
If you want the users to understand, you need to explain them. They just said they stopped Kodi but without any explanation...
How other hardware are not concerned by this ? My computer, my smartphone and my rpi can still play without any issue.
For communication point ... I agree ... even some company impose to other to don't communicate (some company (A...e) do that also in the past ... )

Computer, Smartphone, RPi can run it BUT don't provide it as "official" software (some tv box provide it BUT without Dolby support)
... O.S. software provider don't propose it directly WITH the box in their OWN software catalog or store
... for Mac / Windows is Kodi team (so not related to hardware supporting or not some function)
... for Rpi it's a separate (OpenElec) delivery ... and they are in the viewfinder
... for Android ... it's in store but not as a Google software

Last ... if it's easy to attack (by law) small or medium company ... it's more difficult when target is Microsoft, Google or Apple ... and because they can negotiate if they want ... a "special" price for licensing

Search in the past ... some company at end of life ... use of this method ... unfortunately for us ...

I will stop participating to this topic ... because I am not Asustor, no more linked to us ... it's just that other brand was also impacted by this licensing problem ... they don't communicate (as Asustor) ... but step by step some news will appear ...

Philippe.
itdaboyz

Post by itdaboyz »

Ok, thank you for the explanation.

So if I get it right, it's totally possible and legal for one to build a new Kodi package to ADM.
Rexus_Maximus

Post by Rexus_Maximus »

Is somebody making a Kodi version with propper codecs?
calcalso

Post by calcalso »

I am totally disappointed, I bought this JUST use to play movie and music from NAS to my TV.
Now all my mkv files can't play from PLEX, and the Spotify can't play local file from NAS.
I feel be cheated by ASUSTOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I bought a garbage now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
father.mande

Post by father.mande »

Hi,
calcalso wrote:I am totally disappointed, I bought this JUST use to play movie and music from NAS to my TV.
Now all my mkv files can't play from PLEX, and the Spotify can't play local file from NAS.
I feel be cheated by ASUSTOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I bought a garbage now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I can't and don't want to change your opinion on Asustor NAS, but I want to understand the file .mkv you can't play using Plex
... did you use Plex Media Player or Plex Server and a client ???
... can you provide a log and ALL detail on file used (or an URL to a sample / test or original file) ? so we can see if it's linked to Asustor or another problem ...

Plex Media Player can play mkv and by build it is able to use it's own ffmeg (include statically) ... so it's own codecs ...

Philippe.
Rexus_Maximus

Post by Rexus_Maximus »

Is somebody working on a solution? I mean hacking the FFmpeg and x.org is just not consumer friendly...
So is someone working a solution so I can give it my full support...
Asustor is not really supportive and communicative about this issue. Which is not good for customer loyalty... and overall product trust. Shame really they had so much potential...

But on topic... does anybody know of someone(body) working on a special build or something? Or a new Asustorportal video player... Not OpenPHT because man that app does not work at all...

Return to “Feature Requests”