mediaplayer VLC VIDEOLAN to replace KODI player

Got a feature request? Great! Post your ideas here!

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

docmarc
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

mediaplayer VLC VIDEOLAN to replace KODI player

Post by docmarc »

Please ADD VLC Videolan ( GPL LIcences )
https://www.videolan.org/legal.html licences legal ...
Is a légal software to decode AC3 H.264 , Videolan has its own codecs develop internally, GPL
Videolan VLC play all formats

https://www.videolan.org/vlc/features.html
vidéo
MPEG-1/2, DivX® (1/2/3/4/5/6), MPEG-4 ASP, XviD, 3ivX D4, H.261, H.263 / H.263i, H.264 / MPEG-4 AVC, Cinepak, Theora, Dirac / VC-2, MJPEG (A/B), WMV 1/2, WMV 3 / WMV-9 / VC-1, Sorenson 1/3, DV, On2 VP3/VP5/VP6, Indeo Video v3 (IV32), Real Video (1/2/3/4).

audio
MPEG Layer 1/2, MP3 - MPEG Layer 3, AAC - MPEG-4 part3, Vorbis, AC3 - A/52, E-AC-3, MLP / TrueHD>3, DTS, WMA 1/2, WMA 3, FLAC, ALAC, Speex, Musepack / MPC, ATRAC 3, Wavpack, Mod, TrueAudio, APE, Real Audio, Alaw/µlaw, AMR (3GPP), MIDI, LPCM, ADPCM, QCELP, DV Audio, QDM2/QDMC, MACE.

sub
DVD, Text files (MicroDVD, SubRIP, SubViewer, SSA1-5, SAMI, VPlayer), Closed captions, Vobsub, Universal Subtitle Format (USF), SVCD / CVD, DVB, OGM, CMML, Kate.
ID3 tags, APEv2, Vorbis comment.
and more ...
vitosx

Re: mediaplayer VLC VIDEOLAN to replace KODI player

Post by vitosx »

There is no such thing as "own codecs develop internally" if format is licensed. AC3 and DTS are not "internally developed" formats.
If you want to play these formats in your commercial product (as Asustor did by providing KODI adopted to their NAS devices), you must pay license fees.

It does not matter if it is KODI, VLC, whatever. Asustor can't provide such software for free anymore.
Rexus_Maximus

Post by Rexus_Maximus »

Then a paid app is an option. At this point i'm willing to pay for an app like Kodi or pay for Kodi with licence.
QProphecy

Post by QProphecy »

Vote: +1
father.mande

Post by father.mande »

Hi,
My two cents ...

Porting VLC is not an easy things to do ... even possible (I will works on a global solution)

BUT don't ask Asustor to do the job and deliver it as an Asustor package ??? because Kodi is legal, Vlc is legal, ffmpeg is legal, xxx is legal ... the problem is NOT the software itself ... it's the fact to propose this application ON the hardware ... Dolby, etc. use of this quibble ... to threaten Hardware provider of law pursuit ... because the licence for DTS, etc. is not on the code to use it BUT on the fact to provide it with an hardware ... in this case Dolby, etc require to provider to buy a licence (expensive).

Asustor but also QNAP are in this situation ... if they offer a software able to play DTS, Dolby, etc. with a NAS with media capabilities ... they fall in the licence requirement (it is questionable ... BUT this require to paid for a law contest ... )

So only independent (of Asustor in any manner) software provider with "pure" open source code and without change in the code to adapt to the platform ... can provide alternative version ...

Nothing is simple and any help from Asustor can be considered as a participation in the build of an licence solution ...

Philippe.
NB I do a port of Kodi, etc. on QNAP, based on pure, without modification, Ubuntu version ... to bypass the problem ... but it's a hard works to manage libraries and integration without modding the original source code ...
... for ex. kodi18 last build (after Alpha 1) was not able to run on QNAP (even alpha 1 can works) ... so a new coding strategy is require ... I works (on my free time, I am a user) on it and try to be as possible compatible with Asustor also (as I do for PlexMediaPlayer 2)
AS6602T / AS5202T /AS5002T / AS1002T / FS6706T

Return to “Feature Requests”