PXE BOOT

Got a feature request? Great! Post your ideas here!

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

pont4ik
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

PXE BOOT

Post by pont4ik »

Hallo,
i noticed that by Synology it is possible to use PXE-Boot. It is planned to add this function to the ASUSTOR? Thanks
orion

Re: PXE BOOT

Post by orion »

I wonder what the benefits are for us?
MikeG.6.5

Post by MikeG.6.5 »

Since the NAS boots from a ROM, stores the apps and OS on the HDD's, there doesn't seem to be much benefit. Unless you intend to set up several NASes within the same environment, then move them to separate but similar environments.

At least as far as I could see after a detailed google....
pont4ik

Post by pont4ik »

I think my question was misinterpreted, sorry for my English.
PXE as a service should give me a possibility to Boot the ISO images stored on the NAS from other devices via network.
For me as a user will PXE Servic an very important function, because I would have a possibility to install or repair my Windows-Clients quickly.
Booting with an ISO image via PXE is already an advantage.
Regards
orion

Post by orion »

Ok, you should mean PXE server on NAS. That is basically TFTP service. You can enable it under ADM web -> Services -> TFTP server. You may have a try.
Max36

Post by Max36 »

Hello. TFTP works. Thank you for advice. But a couple of DHCP options must be configured as well. They are: "066 Boot Server Host Name" and "067 Bootfile Name". Any ideas on how to do it with the embedded DHCP server?
orion

Post by orion »

Max36 wrote:Hello. TFTP works. Thank you for advice. But a couple of DHCP options must be configured as well. They are: "066 Boot Server Host Name" and "067 Bootfile Name". Any ideas on how to do it with the embedded DHCP server?
You are talking about DHCP server options, rather than TFTP server options. Did you install DHCP server manually on NAS? I actually could not find DHCP server application on AppCentral. You should follow the configuration guide of DHCP server that you installed.
MikeG.6.5

Post by MikeG.6.5 »

DHCP on your NAS is configured in the Web App under Settings -> Network -> DHCP Settings. I don't see a place in this for configuring login or DHCP scripts, which would be where you would put those variables.

You may have better luck configuring your router to use these scripts, but pointing to the NAS as the machine to get the image from. Other than that, I have no idea how else to proceed.
orion

Post by orion »

MikeG.6.5 wrote:DHCP on your NAS is configured in the Web App under Settings -> Network -> DHCP Settings.
Oops, you are right. I missed that. I used DHCP service on my gateway. When I set NAS to static IP address, I can setup NAS DHCP server. :D
Max36

Post by Max36 »

Thanks Orion and MikeG.6.5

DHCP on my home router (Zyxel Ultra II) does not support extended DHCP options as well. What is why I thought to use Asustor's embeded DHCP server for PXE support. No luck.

There are may be some workarounds like: 1) install virtual machine under VitualBox with any liked DHCP server (sounds too havy solution) 2) under SSH look for configuration file of the embeded DHCP server and try to add required options there (not sure if it will work) 3) install another DHCP server under opkg (setup could be difficult for many users).

So, regarding to the original question from pont4ik, Asustor have PXE support only if network's DHCP server supports extended DHCP options.

Return to “Feature Requests”