Internet speed test app

Got a feature request? Great! Post your ideas here!

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

dryteletubby
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Internet speed test app

Post by dryteletubby »

There should be a speed test app that can periodically test internet speed and it should be able to notify users when internet speed is not satisfactory
MikeG.6.5

Re: Internet speed test app

Post by MikeG.6.5 »

NO! Can't say this enough... NO!!

I don't want an app that will automatically ping a speed test server, run it's tests and does this hands free. That testing cycle is going to suck up bandwidth, affecting any other downloading or uploading apps I have running ACROSS THE NETWORK. Not just on the NAS itself. (And run up your bandwidth usage as a result of these periodic tests.)

You can run speedtest.net on any browser that the NAS runs. (Hint, with ASPortal that would be Chrome.) Run it when you want to test, otherwise let it sit. No need at all to run it when you aren't testing speeds. Let it sit.
joe

Re: Internet speed test app

Post by joe »

https://github.com/sivel/speedtest-cli

This is a python script that leverages the speedtest.net service..so not exactly an "app" but it is scriptable via a shell script / automatable via crontab etc.

Each to their own. It's an option, not a forced feature and imo a really good effort by Matt Martz (sivel). I'm not related / affiliated in any way.

Return to “Feature Requests”