Exfat support?

Got a feature request? Great! Post your ideas here!

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

primusd
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Exfat support?

Post by primusd »

I don't care if I need to pay some small royalty to get this... its 2017, Asustor needs to figure out how to provide ExFat support for their machines.

I'd love to hear if anyone has figured out a workaround in the interim (can't find anything about in the forums to-date).

Come on Asustor....!!!
Max36

Re: Exfat support?

Post by Max36 »

+1

Trying to connect my 128GB flash by USB I have been surprised to discover that Asustor still does not support exFat. It may be really annoying to backup and restore modern huge flash drives across Wi-Fi from PC ( like it is advised here viewtopic.php?p=25524 ). A brief googling showed that ExFat is proprietary and Microsoft owns patents on several elements of its design. Probably what is why it is still not supported.

Not sure if I can mention it here, but it seems qnap started to support exFat: https://nas2u.my/v2/nas-news/171

May be we need to wait a bit for response from asustor?
father.mande

Post by father.mande »

Hi,

Exfat support can be use ... from Entware-ng APKG

... you can install exfat-fuse permitting you to mount / umount exfat file-system (at user (fuse) level)
... you also have a set of command (label, mkfs, etc.)

Code: Select all

Package exfat-fuse (1.2.6-1) is installed on root and has the following files:
/opt/sbin/exfatlabel
/opt/sbin/mkexfatfs
/opt/sbin/dumpexfat
/opt/sbin/mount.exfat
/opt/sbin/exfatfsck
/opt/sbin/mount.exfat-fuse
/opt/sbin/fsck.exfat
/opt/sbin/mkfs.exfat
search on the Web for more detail on this ... but easy and working solution (not as any fuse file-system for intensive use, but to transfer, copy, move ... no problem at all ... )
Philippe.
AS6602T / AS5202T /AS5002T / AS1002T / FS6706T
primusd

Post by primusd »

Thanks for the entware solution - will have to try that once I clear out the existing gremlins in my machine (been a pain ever since tech support 'helped' fix a corrupted admin profile).

I see in Asustor's recent survey they are offering '3. exFAT authorisation key * 10 Valued at $3.99USD' -- was there some official announcement of official exfat support, or perhaps just foreshadowing of something to come with future ADM update?
primusd

Post by primusd »

Just to close the loop here... it seems indeed it was some foreshadowing:
https://www.asustor.com/app_central/app ... pe=&model=

Thanks Asustor for getting this sorted!!
marp

Post by marp »

https://news.softpedia.com/news/microso ... 7188.shtml

Does it mean in the future exFAT will be natively supported, without the cost of an additional license?

Return to “Feature Requests”