better drive expansion

Got a feature request? Great! Post your ideas here!

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

aenigmainc
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

better drive expansion

Post by aenigmainc »

I have a 6210 and only had 6-6TB drives so i put them in and built a volume. about a month later i added 4 more 6TB drives and expanded the volume. it spent about a day expanding but when it finished synchronizing it hadn't added any more space. After a lot of searching i think i found the answer as being i was adding more than 8TB.

I'm in the process copying all the data to another system I own so i can destroy and recreate the volume with all the drives at the same time.

Is there anyway we can prevent this from happening in the future? or was this an anomaly and it should have grown but for some reason didn't.
orion

Re: better drive expansion

Post by orion »

Your volume should be RAID-5 or 6. Did you expand volume by adding disks one-by-one (add one disk, wait for synchronization, then add one more, wait...)? After done, you should be able to expand volume size.
I don't think there are anything related to "more than 8TB".
Kapitein Haak

Post by Kapitein Haak »

The 8TB expansion seems to be a "feature" on the 32-bit systems (as-2 and as-3 series. The 6210 should be able to expand over 8 TB.

Best regards,
Kapitein Haak.
"What would the world be like without Captain Hook?"
---
"Homo sapiens non urinat in ventum" (A wise man doesn't piss into the wind), only in Amsterdam:
https://www.google.nl/maps/@52.36289,4. ... 312!8i6656
aenigmainc

Post by aenigmainc »

no, i didn't wait between disks. I added all 4 disks and said expand. so it was a user error. thats fine. i got it all worked out now.

I had read about an 8tb limit and thought that might be it. so I was doubly wrong.

thanks guys.

Return to “Feature Requests”