(SOLVED) Do i need a paid domain to use HTTPS for ADM?

Got a feature request? Great! Post your ideas here!

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

SPOinNS
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

(SOLVED) Do i need a paid domain to use HTTPS for ADM?

Post by SPOinNS »

How do I use HTTPS to log in to the web interface of ADM without a paid domain?

I'm using Firefox but reading the Asustor College entry #324 leads me to believe that the situation is the same for all browsers.

I don't have a paid domain and don't need one. That seems to render the Let's Encrypt solution useless. The baked in Asustor certificate isn't signed and is therefore useless in this situation.

Do I really need to pay for a domain I don't want and operate a web server with open ports just to have a secure log in to my ADM web interface? That seems like self serving web busywork for a simple need - securely log in to my ADM interface for routine administrative tasks.

Am i missing something really obvious and simple here? It's been known to happen from time to time ...
MikeG.6.5

Re: Do i need a paid domain to use HTTPS for ADM?

Post by MikeG.6.5 »

Short answer, no, you don't need a paid domain.

Long answer... Open a port (any port number, generally higher than 1000 and lower than 65000) on your router to point to the IP of your NAS on port 8001. Send your browser to this using Asustor's DDNS server, so it's going to read something like this: https://youruserid.myasustor.com:port-forwarded. By picking a different port, randomly, you are forcing someone that wants to brute force you to go outside of the typical range. They generally DON'T do this, as it's counter-productive.

Most browsers will warn you about an invalid cert, and most will allow you to accept the cert anyway. Many of them allow you to remember the cert for future use. Check the options when you get the invalid cert warning and choose accordingly.

FYI, I do this all the time from my laptop and tablet. Works like a charm.
aenigmainc

Re: Do i need a paid domain to use HTTPS for ADM?

Post by aenigmainc »

And Always use ADM defender.

I use a 3 strike rule for bad passwords. I also block every country except the one I'm in. You can block countries by downloading the GEO IP database in ADM.

Return to “Feature Requests”