Amazon

Got a feature request? Great! Post your ideas here!
jamie75
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Amazon

Post by jamie75 »

It would be nice to utilize the Amazon cloud service. This is a home users version of s3. At $59 a year you get unlimited storage. This would be a heat alternative to S3. The competition already is offering Amazon cloud drive apps to allow backing up your nas to the cloud
MikeG.6.5

Re: Amazon

Post by MikeG.6.5 »

Uhm, WHY?

You already have your own Cloud Storage with the NAS itself, right? Why would you want to pay someone to copy, move, modify or delete your data as they see fit and not how you want to control it? Read the EULA from most of those services, and that's what you are paying for them to do... Yeah, they mightbe a back up source, or maybe another place to have your data, but they also control the data once it's in their hands, so why would you want that?

Your call, really, but not why I bought a NAS to begin with.
jamie75

Post by jamie75 »

Just to back up the data on the nas. House fire, theft or corrupt raid config.
Bingstroller

Post by Bingstroller »

WHY?

Why shout?
MikeG.6.5

Post by MikeG.6.5 »

Bingstroller wrote:WHY?

Why shout?
I suppose it's because questions like this come up so often and I really don't know what people are thinking about when they ask it. It's a source of frustration, when they have the means to make their own cloud server via the NAS and are still asking about using other for pay services without thinking about what the device they bought is capable of doing.

I think a lot of people aren't really understanding what their NAS is truly capable of doing. And because there is so much hype about cloud this or cloud that, people ask about these services to be in the "In" crowd without understanding exactly what they have with their device.

Maybe I'm wrong in this thought. I wouldn't be interested in giving someone else complete control over my data. Which is exactly what using these services entails. Someone else has complete control over everything you put on them.

If this interests others, then more power to them, I guess. My own data and security of it is much more important to me, personally. Physical control of it is something I want to maintain. My own data is more important to me than it is with some cloud service. As we have seen, hacking into some of them is pretty easy to do....
elliot_pl

Post by elliot_pl »

What control over your data are you talking about exactly? I was always sending encrypted containers for backup purposes.

If you think you don't need backup, means you didn't see much :) It's just a matter of backing up your data in a smart way. External USB hdd is not smart, take if from the person who once helped a friend photographer that got his apartment robbed. They took his NAS, backup hdd's and memory cards. All he was left with, was his online portfolio...
MikeG.6.5

Post by MikeG.6.5 »

On-line backup to another NAS stored in a separate location. And it's one I set up for my GF, so I know it's always on and ready... She backs up her stuff to my NAS the same way. (Rsync jobs, on alternating days, the worst case is data is only 2 days old, easy enough to replicate 2 days.)

Any time you store something on a device other than one you physically control you risk that the third party is going to destroy, move, sell or manipulate your data. If you feel comfortable losing that control, more power to you. I won't give anyone else I personally don't know control over the data I have spent a lifetime collecting or guarding...
proxtg

Post by proxtg »

The basic question you need to ask is why it is not made for Amazon when the backup software for Google Drive, Onedrive, Yandex is made. Eliot needs Amazon software as a user (and me). It's up to you to do this software. Everyone is free to keep where they store their data. Do you offer my gratitude to users in this way?
sksbir

Post by sksbir »

MikeG.6.5 wrote:On-line backup to another NAS stored in a separate location. And it's one I set up for my GF, so I know it's always on and ready... She backs up her stuff to my NAS the same way. (Rsync jobs, on alternating days, the worst case is data is only 2 days old, easy enough to replicate 2 days.)
Any time you store something on a device other than one you physically control you risk that the third party is going to destroy, move, sell or manipulate your data. If you feel comfortable losing that control, more power to you. I won't give anyone else I personally don't know control over the data I have spent a lifetime collecting or guarding...
I'm doing exactly the same with my sister :)
Once you have acquired the way asustor manage rsync, and how to use the (light bugged) GUI to create backups, how to use ssh over rsync, it's a pleasure to see your data saved automatically each day.

Return to “Feature Requests”