Download Center VPN Options

Got a feature request? Great! Post your ideas here!

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

TheDave1022
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Download Center VPN Options

Post by TheDave1022 »

Would be nice if you could set a VPN profile in Download center so it only uses the VPN and everything else like ADM management does not.

Otherwise a way to turn on/off VPN while things are downloading or a way to schedule VPN on/off as you can already schedule when to download torrents
Last edited by TheDave1022 on Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
pafer

Re: Download Center VPN Options

Post by pafer »

TheDave1022 wrote:Would be nice if you could set a VPN profile in Download center so it only uses the VPN and everything else like ADM management does not.

I second this suggestion.
I know those familiar with Linux know how to make this happen, but not all of us are familiar enough with Linux.

Therefore, a simple way to do this would be very welcome for many end-users.
Shawn.S@AST

Post by Shawn.S@AST »

Hi Dave and Pafer,

Thanks for the suggestion. We will study this and if anything not clear, we will ask your advice again!
Vincent.T@AST

Post by Vincent.T@AST »

Hi Dave, Pafer,

Our NAS can act as a VPN client or a VPN server. So, the mentioned operations "set a VPN profile in Download center" and "turn/schedule VPN on/off" are for VPN client or VPN server? Please help to clarify, thank you.
MikeG.6.5

Post by MikeG.6.5 »

What they are asking to do is bind DLC to a VPN session but not have to have the rest of the NAS tied to the session. This allows the DLC or torrenting to be virtually hidden from the ISP's that are tracking what they consider to be potentially illegal activity, and banning or tracking that activity. In this situation, they are asking for a specific VPN client and being able to restrict that client to just DLC, or uTorrent or whatever app.

Since the VPN hides the activity completely, from something outside of the network, all anyone outside of it can see is that there is traffic, but not what the traffic actually is. It protects the one doing the transfers (in this case) from being detected as the type of activity it is.

As it sits now, if I want to hide something via a VPN, I'm hiding EVERYTHING on the NAS and not just the one app. So that means in order to get to any other app on the NAS someone needs to be on the same VPN. We can't route a specific app to the VPN, but have to route everything through it.

Does this make more sense, now?
orion

Post by orion »

Mike, you make me laughing pretty hard.
aj2

Post by aj2 »

He is right. VPN puts all traffic of device thru tunnel. For just an app, proxy is the solution. Proxy is just not that anonymous compare to VPN.

For devices with 2 LAN's it is easy to setup.

VPN over default gateway, the other LAN for other stuff.
Another Day At The Office
pafer

Post by pafer »

Cheers Mike - this is exactly what I mean.

Shawn, Vincent, does Mike's response make sense?
Shawn.S@AST

Post by Shawn.S@AST »

Hi Pafer,

Thanks, we are studying it now! Need some more time...
pafer

Post by pafer »

Hi Shawn,

Have you had any feedback on this suggestion yet?

Thanks.

Return to “Feature Requests”