Please add support for OneDrive

Got a feature request? Great! Post your ideas here!

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

Panze
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Re: Please add support for OneDrive

Post by Panze »

Onedrive +1
renocz

Post by renocz »

+1 ;-)

NAS: Synology DS210J + 2 To // Asustor AS302T + Western Red 4 To

Other:Raspberry PI XBMC // NUC d34010wyk XBMC 13.0 // Macbook Pro 15" 2013
Iphone 5s // Galaxy S3 // Ipad 3 //Ipad Mini
Elrique64

Post by Elrique64 »

Guys, going to ask the question because I see OneDrive and other cloud services popping up on a few of the forums I frequent...

WHY would you want to give someone other than yourself physical control of your documents??? I'm actually looking for a reason to want to use these services, so if you have one, fill me in...

They can't provide any additional levels of security, although they do provide an off-site back up potential. What they don't do is protect your data from other people using it, including themselves. These service's EULA's usually state that they will use, copy or distribute your data as they see fit, in accordance with their company policy, and many times these agreements change, without the user being aware of what those changes might be. Ask the celeb's that lost the risqué photos recently if they thought these services were safe to use....

OwnCloud on my own NAS, data rsynced to another NAS off-site provides complete data backup, with restore abilities.
yupsolo

Post by yupsolo »

We call that one reason : easy off-site backup

if your house goes on fire/thief

voilà!
Elrique64

Post by Elrique64 »

OwnCloud on my own NAS, data rsynced to another NAS off-site provides complete data backup, with restore abilities.
I think you missed something there... That's OK, though, you still haven't given me a good reason to put my data in someone else's hands.... :(
yupsolo

Post by yupsolo »

heheh I surely missed that. :)

but you need the $$ to buy an off site NAS+Hard drives. that can be costfull in the end.

regards,

Frank
damien599901

Post by damien599901 »

OneDrive is in the last press release on the computex 2015
Storage: AS7004T & AS5002T
Network: FREEBOX REVOLUTION V6
Laptop: Apple MACBOOK Pro OS X El Capitan & Windows 10
Media Player: ASUSTOR NAS with Kodi 16 Beta & HD_Engine 1 (thanks Fathe_Mande)
Portable: iPhone 6S Plus, iPad Mini 2 & iPad Air
yupsolo

Post by yupsolo »

thx for the info!

:)
Elrique64

Post by Elrique64 »

yupsolo wrote:heheh I surely missed that. :)

but you need the $$ to buy an off site NAS+Hard drives. that can be costfull in the end.

regards,

Frank
I'm guessing you mean costly, right?

It's actually going to wind up being less costly than having someone at this service, who's agreement you acknowledged when you signed up, selling your data to some third party according to the agreement. It's less costly than relying on this service as a backup and then finding out they aren't responsible if it gets corrupted or deleted by mistake.

And, it's less costly than a potential prison term if you have data/apps that aren't quite legal and some government agency comes knocking on the service's doors with a search warrant and you get stung.

Ask the celebrities in the US who's photos were hacked if they thought they were going to get hacked. Ask around to see if the data you maintain on a service is encrypted or stored in the clear? Read the licensing agreement you agree to when you sign up to see if they can sell, delete, move or manipulate your data if it doesn't fit within their "Fair Use Policy." Find out the recourse you have if your data is lost, stolen, corrupted or deleted from whichever service...

With 2 NAS's, one off-site, I can store my data with complete security. No worries about someone selling my info, my data or deleting or corrupting things. I can put in the levels of encryption I want as part of the sync process and know there is complete security. If something fails, it's usually a simple fix. New hardware on one end, back up and running. If something fails on the service, it could take forever to get it back, if ever, and then you have the same worries all over again.

It's your call...
damien599901

Post by damien599901 »

I agree with you Elrique
A private cloud storage stays better
But each customer can have the choice : a private cloud storage or another way .
Finally you can also use OneDrive for repatriate your data et then erase them ;)
Storage: AS7004T & AS5002T
Network: FREEBOX REVOLUTION V6
Laptop: Apple MACBOOK Pro OS X El Capitan & Windows 10
Media Player: ASUSTOR NAS with Kodi 16 Beta & HD_Engine 1 (thanks Fathe_Mande)
Portable: iPhone 6S Plus, iPad Mini 2 & iPad Air

Return to “Feature Requests”