Support for btrfs [file system]

Got a feature request? Great! Post your ideas here!

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

Dirhael
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Support for btrfs [file system]

Post by Dirhael »

Hello,

I'm currently a happy owner of a 608T NAS, and while it's working great as is, I would love to see support for the btrfs file-system implemented in a future firmware update (with the possibility for a fs-conversion). Netgear have already implemented this is several of their models (as default no less), but I'd love to enjoy the improved data-integrity features of btrfs on a ASUSTOR NAS instead. Arstechnica talks about some of the major advantages of btfs in a recent article, if you'd like some more information on why I think this would be a great feature to have.
Elusivity

Re: Support for btrfs [file system]

Post by Elusivity »

Dirhael, While I completely agree regarding file functionality btrfs isn't exactly ready for primetime, the same article posted on Arstechnica clearly stipulates that one would need to be running daily kernel builts to get it working 100%, this is a production NAS, the greater customer base probably wouldn't want to be running such untested kernels further more the time to test and deploy would see numerous dailies being released in the period. I'd suggest ZFS as a far more stable solution, furthermore that's been stable for some time and would allow a more solid base to work off of, of course running a it as a userland app has disadvantages but asustor is already doing this with ntfs-3g.
maxbraketorque

Re: Support for btrfs [file system]

Post by maxbraketorque »

I just picked up an AS6102T as my first NAS system. I did quite a bit of research among the various brands, and one of the few areas where ASUSTOR was falling behind was adoption of BTRFS. This now appears to be a stable and desirable Linux file system with several brands of NAS's now using it as the default file system. Any comments on if/when ASUSTOR will offer it?

Return to “Feature Requests”