More Info from ADM on Events.

Got a feature request? Great! Post your ideas here!

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

GuruSR
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

More Info from ADM on Events.

Post by GuruSR »

First off, the emailing of errors is useful, has been for me because of items like this:

Code: Select all

Event Level: INFO
Date: 03/14/2023 AM 03:59
User: SYSTEM
Event: [System] "ftp" login failure from IP "203.91.115.55" detected.

Date: 03/14/2023 AM 07:29
Event: [System] "ftp" login failure from IP "193.46.199.53" detected.

Date: 03/14/2023 AM 07:29
Event: [Network Defender] Abnormal login attempt detected, Add IP "193.46.199.53" to Autoblock List.
Just have to love bots... Well, in that instance I did, CIDR banned the whole server farms at the internet connection. :lol:

I'm also running into an odd "samba" issue, where it is complaining my machine (and another one) are logging in incorrectly (not sure if this *is* a bug or not, but without any information, I can't tell). All the machines have a drive letter aimed at \\uncname\share and Credentials are stored manually for the uncname. These machines SEE and WORK with the shares fine, so what *IS* the error?

Date: 03/14/2023 AM 08:07
Event: [System] "samba" login failure from IP "#.#.#.#" detected.
#.#.#.# is one of two machines, which causes it to spam email (hundreds a day) and all I have to go on is "login failure".

The main reason this has no help in determining the issues, is because there are no "login credentials" listed. Same for the FTP errors, then there is this one:

Date: 03/14/2023 PM 12:30
Event: [Regional Options] Failed to sync from the NTP server.
<- I did find the reason for this one (domain name had a typo, a failed to connect to <ntpserver> message would have been better).

The issue is with the current event information is, it is severely lacking any details. If you have to ask "Why is that error happening?" then the log information isn't robust enough to give you the answer or at least a direction to move towards.

I've dealt with limited to no logs in hardware before, some commercial units of yesteryear were like that, none-of-which were of any use in solving issues. Thought those days were behind me.

GuruSR.

Return to “Feature Requests”