Backup & Restore -> Backup, Sync & Restore

Got a feature request? Great! Post your ideas here!
GuruSR
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Backup & Restore -> Backup, Sync & Restore

Post by GuruSR »

Currently moved from another RAID to the AS5202T, the Backup & Restore is sorely lacking.

In the previous RAID, I could tell it to do a Full Backup once and new File Backups afterwards, then I'd manually use another program a few months down the road and remove old files not needed for space.

Sadly, the Backup & Restore seems to have no means of only copying newly added files, nor does it offer a sync. The App Central wasn't any help at all in this respect. Currently it is backing up 1.6TB+ of data to the USB drive needlessly (and adding more wear and tear on both RAID drives and the External USB, promoting earlier failure).

RAIDs aren't backups, they're just safer storage (to avoid hardware errors & failures), so a more robust backup solution is still necessary (which the ADM doesn't offer unless Cloud based), sadly, in my location anything Cloud based for backups is out of the question due to the lack of gigabit Internet (or anything even remotely close). The whole idea of having a local RAID was to "have your own Cloud", so why would I back up to an outside one? Off-site Cloud backups are fine for extremely sensitive data, but not for full desktop backups that are in the 0.8TB-1.2TB size per machine.

My request would be:

Backup & Restore would also offer (for Internal & External Backup):

Backup files not present on Destination: Checkbox
Remove files not present on Source after X Days: (Enter days to expire files that are too old, [4 digit length]. 0 = Disabled)

GuruSR.

Return to “Feature Requests”