issue with current Docker not starting up after reboot

Got a feature request? Great! Post your ideas here!

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

dkobelak
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

issue with current Docker not starting up after reboot

Post by dkobelak »

I was hoping we could get an update too the current Docker version that we have in the app center. I am running the latest version available in ADM, however after rebooting the server, quite often docker does not start up properly and many of the apps that I have running that use it (sabnzbd, portainer, etc) do not come back up after reboot. I need to restart docker, sometimes multiple times for it to start working.. Also if anyone has any tips or a way of fixing this, it would be great to hear.. otherwise, I am hoping a newer version of docker could fix this issue..
AS-5104T running stock memory;RAID 5 - 4x3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300;BIOS: v1.21 - ADM: 4.0.4.RQO2
AS-6204T running stock memory;RAID 5 - 3x8TB Seagate Ironwolf ST8000VN0022;BIOS: v2.23 - ADM: 4.0.4.RQO2
Nazar78

Re: issue with current Docker not starting up after reboot

Post by Nazar78 »

I noticed it too after the recent upgrade. Not all of the containers started at boot or after daily update (I'm using watchtower) despite the "restart always" flag.

Didn't really try to find the culprit think it's the startup order but until there's a fix this is what I did... Edit the startup file using vi or whatever you're comfortable with.

Code: Select all

vi /volume1/.@plugins/AppCentral/docker-ce/CONTROL/start-stop.sh
Look for the case start mount cgroup at line 22, append this code below the line.

docker start `docker container ls -a|awk 'NR>1{print $NF}'`>/dev/null
I actually have this in my other tweak/mods because it will revert if there's an update but above still works.
Last edited by Nazar78 on Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
AS5304T - 16GB DDR4 - ADM-OS modded on 2GB RAM
Internal:
- 4x10TB Toshiba RAID10 Ext4-Journal=Off
External 5 Bay USB3:
- 4x2TB Seagate modded RAID0 Btrfs-Compression
- 480GB Intel SSD for modded dm-cache (initramfs auto update patch) and Apps

When posting, consider checking the box "Notify me when a reply is posted" to get faster response
dkobelak

Post by dkobelak »

Nazar78 wrote:I noticed it too after the recent upgrade. Not all of the containers started at boot or after daily update (I'm using watchtower) despite the "restart always" flag.

Didn't really try to find the culprit think it's the startup order but until there's a fix this is what I did... Edit the startup file using vi or whatever you're comfortable with.

vi /volume1/.@plugins/AppCentral/docker-ce/CONTROL/start-stop.sh
Look for the case start mount cgroup at line 22, append this code below the line.

docker container ls -a|awk '{print $NF}'|grep -v NAMES|xargs docker start>/dev/null
I actually have this in my other tweak/mods because it will revert if there's an update but above still works.
Thank you for this.. I edited it on one of my NAS and will test it out.. will post here how it goes after my next reboot..
AS-5104T running stock memory;RAID 5 - 4x3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300;BIOS: v1.21 - ADM: 4.0.4.RQO2
AS-6204T running stock memory;RAID 5 - 3x8TB Seagate Ironwolf ST8000VN0022;BIOS: v2.23 - ADM: 4.0.4.RQO2
Nazar78

Post by Nazar78 »

No problem, if it works for you I've edited the previous command just to make it slightly shorter.
Internal:
External 5 Bay USB3:

When posting, consider checking the box "Notify me when a reply is posted" to get faster response
ajizle

Post by ajizle »

I am having this issue as well - I have to manually toggle the Docker app in AppCentral off/on or reboot a few times to get things to load properly. Occured in ADM 3.5 and I am now running ADM 4.0 beta and the issue still persists.
Nazar78

Post by Nazar78 »

ajizle wrote:I am having this issue as well - I have to manually toggle the Docker app in AppCentral off/on or reboot a few times to get things to load properly. Occured in ADM 3.5 and I am now running ADM 4.0 beta and the issue still persists.
I noticed it's worst in ADM 4 beta especially just to restart certain containers. Currently this is my approach which is to force start all the containers a few times. Run it at boot with few secs of sleep prior and whenever some containers not able to restart on demand. Not the best method but it works for me.

while [ ${count:-0} -lt 3 ];do count=$((count+1));docker container ls -a|awk 'NR>1{print $NF}'|xargs docker start 2>&1;done
I have another scheduled script that I use to force network host disconnect on problematic containers during my watchtower upgrades every 4pm. It runs 5 mins after the upgrade. These containers won't automatically restart after upgrades unless you force disconnect its host network. Without this, I would end up daily noticing some of the containers not running after the automatic upgrade.

for i in $(docker ps -a 2>&1|awk 'NR>1&&/Exited|Created/{print $NF}');do docker network disconnect -f host $i>/dev/null 2>&1;echo "Restarting $i...";docker start $i 2>&1;done
Then followed by the previous snippet to force start a few times just incase.
Internal:
External 5 Bay USB3:

dkobelak

Post by dkobelak »

so the scrip didn't work for me.. i just restart all containers, but first i restart docker itself.. works after a couple of tries most of the time.. just hate the fact I have to do this after each restart.. I really wish we got a newer docker CE version as I think it is more stable based on the fix info provided since the version we are running.
Nazar78

Post by Nazar78 »

I managed to automate the failed startup at boot and once daily after a scheduled container upgrade, in fact I even created some notifications just to monitor the situation. So far it's been helping a lot rather than having to login to the NAS manually to restart the containers, at least for now until there's an official fix.
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (29.54 KiB) Viewed 4713 times
Internal:
External 5 Bay USB3:

Return to “Feature Requests”