wsdd

Got a feature request? Great! Post your ideas here!

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

HunterZ
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

wsdd

Post by HunterZ »

Would love to see ADM GUI support for wsdd under Services->Windows->CIFS: https://github.com/christgau/wsdd

This implements the Microsoft WS-DISCOVERY protocol that is needed for Windows 10 to discover devices in the Network browser now that SMB 1.0 / Computer Browser service are removed by default for security reasons.
HunterZ

Re: wsdd

Post by HunterZ »

Update:

I was able to get this working for myself 2 ways via SSH terminal sessions:

Method 1: Installed python3 from the app store. Used wget to download the raw wsdd.py python script from GitHub into a subdirectory of /usr/local. Created a start/stop script in the style of the app store package ones. Symlinked the start/stop script in /usr/local/init.d in the style of the app store package ones.

Method 2 (recommended): Installed entware from the app store (PSA: entware-ng is obsolete, as it has been merged into entware). Installed wsdd2 via opkg. Restarted the NAS.

wsdd2 is a C reimplementation of Python3-based wssd: https://github.com/Andy2244/wsdd2

Would still be nice to see this baked into the ADM OS as a GUI-controllable feature.
Adhara

Post by Adhara »

OMG thank-you! I was pulling my hair out trying to figure out why I couldn't find the NAS in the network, but everything worked by IP address.

Method 2 worked perfectly!

+1 for baking this into ADM, preferably in a way that doesn't screw up those that have manually added wsdd2.
HunterZ

Post by HunterZ »

Update: This was finally added in a recent firmware update! There is a "WS-Discovery" toggle that is now enabled by default, which runs a version of wsdd2 included with the firmware. Thanks, ASUSTOR developers!

Return to “Feature Requests”