Wireguard support

Got a feature request? Great! Post your ideas here!

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

father.mande
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Re: Wireguard support

Post by father.mande »

Hi,

Just For Your Information
... I have try to create kernel modules (wireguard) for ADM 4, the problem is for x86_64 the kernel version used by Asustor : 5.4.x, also require to used compatible modules and not in tree.
The problem for compatible module is the check of kernel version, based on calculation to compare value ... and "x" is not a number.

If Asustor provide the good environment for kernel tree modules (G.P.L.) source with modification to accept the x, it's not the same for other modules when they used this verification internally., or for some program, for ex. strace "original" not working up to they add the support for malformed (it's the term use by strace dev. team) kernel version (issue I report to dev. on github)

I have others project, so I stop testing ... but if I have time, and if Asustor don't create it in a next delivery of A.D.M. ... I will redo some try.

The problem for Asustor (I suppose) is that it's difficult to create a WebUI interface, because, this require (if you don't want to configure blind) a simultaneous access to server and client to exchange keys. and run tests ... so the integration in A.D.M. is a little more difficult for non confirmed in Linux users.

Please, remember, I am not an expert ... it's just my two cents. :roll:
Philippe.
AS6602T / AS5202T /AS5002T / AS1002T / FS6706T
doccaz

Post by doccaz »

QProphecy wrote:Probably not. Except for ADM, everything else is pretty much abandonware and I have yet to see the first feature request honored by Asustor.
I can second that notion. I've been asking for proper rsync over ssh for almost two years now. I still have to use my PC to do my daily backups to rsync.net.
dax

Post by dax »

FYI, with ADM 4.1 the kernel was updated to v5.13. This should hopefully make wireguard support a low-hanging fruit.
rage77

Post by rage77 »

dax wrote:FYI, with ADM 4.1 the kernel was updated to v5.13. This should hopefully make wireguard support a low-hanging fruit.
Let's hope so.
father.mande

Post by father.mande »

Hi,

Wireguard modules can be loaded using APKG
... ADM kernel extension APKG ... build by Asustor for ADM 4.2
... added to APKG tailscale-native (even tailscale for the moment use go wireguard ... available for multiple architecture and kernel)
... if you want to create a wg device, you can used wireguard offer (go and tools) in Entware APKG

After having a running wireguard device, you can add specific tools (native or in a chroot (for any Ubuntu tools or others) or if you want to don't have a full control (a bad idea for VPN usage) ... use some docker tools .. at your risks ...

Philippe.
AS6602T / AS5202T /AS5002T / AS1002T / FS6706T

Return to “Feature Requests”