Wireguard support

Got a feature request? Great! Post your ideas here!

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

rage77
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Wireguard support

Post by rage77 »

Hi!

I would like to request Wireguard support for Asustor NAS. PPT and OpenVPN is supported since way back in the day, now there's a new and improved protocol that is more stable and less resource demanding. Would be awesome if we could have this supported by default in our NAS.
https://www.wireguard.com/
ajizle

Re: Wireguard support

Post by ajizle »

I second this request. WireguaRd is definitely more efficient and fast, and most modern VPN servers are using it now.

While we are adding it, can we add split tunneling? Would be nice to have some apps run through the VPN and others bypass it without having to manually toggle the VPN off and on constantly.
father.mande

Post by father.mande »

Hi,

This require an update of the kernel and some modules
I have try to compile the kernel module (I do it on other platform) for 4.14.x
... x seem to be 88 in A.D.M. (so generate error when compiling kernel modules) when builtin and external modules need to be in at least 4.14.18x for a correct compile of wireguard module (even compile works, loading failed because other modules need are not at correct level (some udp (udptunnel for ex.)

So the solution is to ask Asustor to add the module or update the kernel to integrate patches require.

Philippe.
AS6602T / AS5202T /AS5002T / AS1002T / FS6706T
rage77

Post by rage77 »

Sent a ticket and asked Asustor to add Wireguard support. Don't know if this is ever going to happen though...
QProphecy

Post by QProphecy »

Probably not. Except for ADM, everything else is pretty much abandonware and I have yet to see the first feature request honored by Asustor.
rage77

Post by rage77 »

QProphecy wrote:Probably not. Except for ADM, everything else is pretty much abandonware and I have yet to see the first feature request honored by Asustor.
When my product no longer lives up to my demands I'm tossing it and switching to another brand. This abandonware thingy with apps and features really sucks.
father.mande

Post by father.mande »

Hi,

Wireguard was difficult to implement (kernel module) with 4.14.x ... due to compatibility problems (missing ipv6 structure in 4.14.88 base of 4.14.x from Asustor)
with A.D.M. 4 and new kernel (5.x) this issue are off ... so if kernel source is correctly provide by Asustor ... module must be available when GPL source is out.

For the tools to manipulate wireguard ... Entware APKG include it and dus to the fact it's command line interface ... script-server APKG can create a WebUI for this command ...

But sure if Asustor can provide kernel module directly ... it can be a good idea ... even modules change frequently ... and it's not due to Asustor :D

Philippe.
AS6602T / AS5202T /AS5002T / AS1002T / FS6706T
dax

Post by dax »

father.mande wrote: Hi,
Wireguard was difficult to implement (kernel module) with 4.14.x ... due to compatibility problems (missing ipv6 structure in 4.14.88 base of 4.14.x from Asustor)
with A.D.M. 4 and new kernel (5.x) this issue are off ... so if kernel source is correctly provide by Asustor ... module must be available when GPL source is out.
AFAIK, WireGuard version 1.0 is a part of Linux Kernel 5.6. But ADM4 is based on Linux Kernel 5.4. Are you sure that with newer ADM chances are higher to get Wireguard working?
phamine

Post by phamine »

Has Asustor considered supporting wireguard yet?
rage77

Post by rage77 »

phamine wrote:Has Asustor considered supporting wireguard yet?
Considered - yes.
I have submitted a ticket for it and have gotten the reply that it has been taken to the development team, but nothing else.
I have asked for an update on the ticket but only gotten the reply that is has been taken to the development team.
This was in April 2021

So whether or not it's actually going to happen, nobody knows.

Return to “Feature Requests”