Hibernation

Got a feature request? Great! Post your ideas here!

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

vps358
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Hibernation

Post by vps358 »

Return the hibernation what was lost during last ADM update!
vps358

Re: Hibernation

Post by vps358 »

What ever I do nothing helps, according to Diagnostic tool usually it is actmand-process who is constantly using disks, but according to Activity monitor it is sleeping.
There is no mapped drives and all visible traces have been cleaned from windows explorer, so I am exhausted from ideas.
AS4004T with 3.5.1.R8C1 just refuses to hibernate and constantly spins and "crabbles" disks.
EDIT
Actmand = System Status query tools and it is writing to system volume every 5 minutes.
Edit2
"The following processes continually access hard disks, preventing them from entering into hibernation. You can manually close these processes."
"actmand"
"More information:"

"Time","Service","Description","Storage","Status"
"2020/08/24 11:22","actmand","System Status Query Tools","System Volume","WRITE"
"2020/08/24 11:17","actmand","System Status Query Tools","System Volume","WRITE"
"2020/08/24 11:12","actmand","System Status Query Tools","System Volume","WRITE"
EDIT3
However acc. to process explorer acmand is sleeping ?!?
orion

Post by orion »

Did you close browser after you start diagnostic tool? After the monitor period, you can login to ADM web again to get the result.
vps358

Post by vps358 »

"2020/08/28 09:32","actmand","System Status Query Tools","System Volume","WRITE"
"2020/08/28 09:27","actmand","System Status Query Tools","System Volume","WRITE"
"2020/08/28 09:22","actmand","System Status Query Tools","System Volume","WRITE"
"2020/08/28 09:17","actmand","System Status Query Tools","System Volume","WRITE"
"2020/08/28 09:12","actmand","System Status Query Tools","System Volume","WRITE"
"2020/08/28 09:07","actmand","System Status Query Tools","System Volume","WRITE"
"2020/08/28 09:05","logmand","System Log Service","System Volume","WRITE"
HunterZ

Post by HunterZ »

I just got an Asustor AS3204T v2, and I also hear constant disk sounds coming from it.

I disconnected all sessions, started the diagnostic tool, and logged out of my SSH terminal and the web interface. It only shows mdadm reading from Volume1.

I tried running atop from Entware and building a C port of iotop from source, but they both report an inability to monitor detailed disk access because the NAS kernel is missing I/O accounting features (Asustor, why would you omit this in an OS focused on managing disks?!?!?!).

Tried disabling automatic SMART data collection because smartctl showed my two WD non-Red drives were always doing this, but that didn't help either.

atop/top/htop don't show any significant CPU or RAM usage, and swap usage is zero.

Edit: After waiting a couple of days, this seems to have finally settled out, and the logs show that the disks have woken up from long periods of hibernation. I guess it was just doing some deep kernel-level RAID stuff.
vane

Post by vane »

Hi everybody,

My list is long but I'll tackle the processes one by one with your help.

The first question would be: should I close the media server and network sharing to be able to hope at hibernation? Otherwise jellyfin and smbd____ will prevent it.

The following processes continually access hard disks, preventing them from entering into hibernation. You can manually close these processes.
iodumpman
in:imklog
mdadm
jellyfin
containerd
actmand
winbindd
smbd
smbd-notifyd
dockerd
params.cgi
logmand
dhclient
dhclient-script
login.cgi
userapps.cgi
chmod
lighttpd
network.cgi
pppoe.cgi
avahi-daemon
ddns.cgi
wow.cgi
register.cgi
sparko

Post by sparko »

The Datasync app constantly (and I do mean constantly) accesses the hard drives preventing hibernation. I believe is it writing to the .datasync-center folder (logs?)

Can you guys do something about that? Either have it stop updating whatever it is updating unless files need to be synced, or move the files to RAM and only write to the hard disk when actually syncing files.

Even when I change the schedule to only sync my files at specific hours, the program keeps reading/writing files during the off periods. The only way I can stop it is to press PAUSE on the main screen for each sync job. Then it stops. At the minimum, could you make it stop doing this when it is supposed to be paused???

I am worried this constant writing will eventually cause the hard drives to fail.

Some user here wrote some script to try to move the files to RAM but when I tried that it didn't work for me. I think ASUSTOR needs to fix this at your end. Please?
sparko

Post by sparko »

Seven months later and not even a reply. You guys really care about your users don't you?
ilike2burnthing

Post by ilike2burnthing »

This is a community forum, users helping other users. If you have an issue and want to talk to Asustor directly, open a support ticket - https://support.asustor.com/
Diluvian

Post by Diluvian »

sparko wrote:Some user here wrote some script to try to move the files to RAM but when I tried that it didn't work for me. I think ASUSTOR needs to fix this at your end. Please?
Hi, same issue here. Can you tell me where to find that script? Would like to try it out, too. Did also create a ticket for the developers.

Is it this one? https://forum.asustor.com/viewtopic.php ... log#p38043

Return to “Feature Requests”