Upgrading Drive Size

AndyM
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Upgrading Drive Size

Post by AndyM »

Started to look at doing the drive upgrade (10 tb to 16 tb) following College Topic 352 but didn't get very far. Went to Storage Manager, Volume Set up Wizard to select the replace existing drives with larger ones option - it advised "Please remove this volumes cache drive before changing volume settings".

I found the menu option "Volume 1 SSD Cache" where it gives me the option to "Safely Remove the SSD Cache"

My question:
Do I need to 1) select the "Safely Remove" and then also 2) physically remove the SSD drives, or is it enough to just do the menu step 1 removal?

Cheers
Andy
Nazar78

Re: Upgrading Drive Size

Post by Nazar78 »

You just need to remove the cache before upgrading to larger disks, no need physically remove the drive.
AS5304T - 16GB DDR4 - ADM-OS modded on 2GB RAM
Internal:
- 4x10TB Toshiba RAID10 Ext4-Journal=Off
External 5 Bay USB3:
- 4x2TB Seagate modded RAID0 Btrfs-Compression
- 480GB Intel SSD for modded dm-cache (initramfs auto update patch) and Apps

When posting, consider checking the box "Notify me when a reply is posted" to get faster response
AndyM

Post by AndyM »

Thanks Nazar - good to hear as I have the NAS in a box to isolate the drive noise and it's a nuisance to have to pull it out and rewire it.

Cheers
Andy
Nazar78

Post by Nazar78 »

AndyM wrote:Thanks Nazar - good to hear as I have the NAS in a box to isolate the drive noise and it's a nuisance to have to pull it out and rewire it.

Cheers
Andy
No problem, I did the same but it's in my wall mounted TV console with glass doors to dampen the disks/fan noise. However 4xHDDs gets really hot. Long ago I drilled a hole hidden on the TV console side to exhaust the heat but it's still hot enough that it deformed my 80x10mm slim exhaust fan placed inside the TV console. Better ensure you have good ventilation, watch the disk/CPU/system temp. So I roughly CAD`ed and 3D printed an external 60/80mm fan mount, you can get it free here if you happen to have a 3D printer https://www.printables.com/social/266116-nazar78/models.
Internal:
External 5 Bay USB3:

When posting, consider checking the box "Notify me when a reply is posted" to get faster response
AndyM

Post by AndyM »

Yes heat was very much a concern when I was putting the box together - especially as I was trying quite hard to minimize the sound with some heavy baffling (it sits in the middle of our living area). The design I came up with has two vents with small fans (very quiet) that seem to work very well at keeping things under control. I watch the heat levels to be sure. Thanks the heads up.

I do like the idea of getting a 3D printer though - any recommendations?
Nazar78

Post by Nazar78 »

Yeah I have 8 HDDs in the enclosure, few SSDs, two switches and other stuffs. The temps went up usually every midnight when my backup schedule runs. I'm using my router to monitor the enclosure temp, scheduled some shell scripts to alert me when the temp overshoots certain threshold, this usually when the fan is dying/rattling/dead or too much dust.

OT a bit...

For 3D printers, there's a lot out there, different types corexy/delta/SLA etc few pros and cons between them, ranging from 100+ dollars to 1000+, also depending on your needs. If you're on a budget, you can also get those good condition 2nd hand mainly from others who sold off when they rush into this hobby then having hard time calibrating it end up getting bad prints. Best is to research how it works, how to setup/calibrate, pros/cons and get those with good community support.

https://all3dp.com/1/types-of-3d-printe ... echnology/

https://www.pcmag.com/picks/the-best-3d-printers

I'm using a cartesian type, Voxelab Aquila X2 (clone of Creality Ender3 v2), modified with Laser and CNC attachments.
Internal:
External 5 Bay USB3:

AndyM

Post by AndyM »

Not having near as many drives and the fact that I only run the NAS when I need it makes it easier for me to manage the temperatures - your set up is much more sophisticated.

Thanks for the advice and leads on the 3d printers. I know very little about them and it always helps to have a good starting point. I will pay attention to the calibration issue - didn't know about that.

Cheers
Andy

Return to “[Official] For AS52xx/53xx/66xx Series”