AS5202T Constant Disk Activity

mjp79
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

AS5202T Constant Disk Activity

Post by mjp79 »

Hi,

This could be a newbie question but..I have a new AS5202T with 2 4TB Seagate IronWolf in RAID 1. Initially I installed Plex but have uninstalled apps to get back to a default a state as possible.

With the NAS freshly rebooted, no connections etc., there is constant and audible disk activity. This is a problem for 2 reasons. It is too loud to be near and couldn't be near a TV ( an important use for the box) but I am also concerned about wearing the disks out.

I have run the Energy Control Diagnostic Tool a few times. Initially that recorded Plex activity so I reconfigured Plex to do no logging and then ultimately removed it.

Now it is recorded some activity from lighttpgd and logrotate but this doesn't correlate with the actual disk activity.

Is there anything I can do?

Thanks
Nazar78

Re: AS5202T Constant Disk Activity

Post by Nazar78 »

See the Storage Manager, your raid 1 might be synchronizing? Also check the cpu/drives in Activity Monitor -> Performance -> Overview (Drive for individual Disks) if the charts are high. It's also possible the NAS is running indexing under Settings -> Scheduling.
AS5304T - 16GB DDR4 - ADM-OS modded on 2GB RAM
Internal:
- 4x10TB Toshiba RAID10 Ext4-Journal=Off
External 5 Bay USB3:
- 4x2TB Seagate modded RAID0 Btrfs-Compression
- 480GB Intel SSD for modded dm-cache (initramfs auto update patch) and Apps

When posting, consider checking the box "Notify me when a reply is posted" to get faster response
mjp79

Post by mjp79 »

Thanks @Nazar78

Good suggestions.

I had waited for RAID 1 synchronisation to complete - so not that.

From memory this started even before I had copied any files onto the device. Currently there is about 8 video files so it shouldn't be indexing etc. But I couldn't find this anywhere in Settings.

There is a small amount of activity on the drives - which doesn't make sense in terms of any user activity - an almost constant 1KB per second read activity on Drive 1 - which I guess explains the noise but I can't see what is causing it.
Nazar78

Post by Nazar78 »

Ok, unfortunately those lighttpd (running ADM web/APIs) and logrotate (should be briefly active only once in a day) are system process. Usually those activities with significant CPU usage will contribute to the harddisk noise. I have my NAS in a glass/wooden TV console DIY ventilated so noise of x8 hdds is not that bad.

From my experience, I've noticed this process watchmand (watch manager daemon?) that takes up about 4-5% making my disks not going to sleep so I had it auto killed upon boot. The Activity Monitor will not always show these you have to SSH into the NAS and run top or htop (installed manually) with 1sec delay to catch such activities. I also use/installed utilities like iostat/strace to monitor the disks activities.

If you're unsure, I would suggest that you open a ticket with Asustor Support for them to have a look into your system.
AS5304T - 16GB DDR4 - ADM-OS modded on 2GB RAM
Internal:
- 4x10TB Toshiba RAID10 Ext4-Journal=Off
External 5 Bay USB3:
- 4x2TB Seagate modded RAID0 Btrfs-Compression
- 480GB Intel SSD for modded dm-cache (initramfs auto update patch) and Apps

When posting, consider checking the box "Notify me when a reply is posted" to get faster response
michauw

Post by michauw »

Hello,

i've simillar issue with my fresh installation of as5304t.

On empty raid1 volume it generates 30 sec read/write every 70-80 sec.

I can't figure out what couses this activity and it drives me crazy. Tried to install htop, iostat but unfortunatelly kernel on this nas does not have rquired options compiled in.

Did You solve this?

Regards
Michau

Return to “[Official] For AS52xx/53xx/66xx Series”