Write transfert speed locked at 1G (125MB/s)!? (PC to NAS with 2.5G Connexion)

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

Wiserx
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Write transfert speed locked at 1G (125MB/s)!? (PC to NAS with 2.5G Connexion)

Post by Wiserx »

Hello everyone,

I am a new user of a Nas AS6604T.
I don't understand why if I'm connected in 2.5G Lan on my (PC, switch and NAS at 2.5G) ... and when I transfer files, it only writes at 125MB/s (= connexion 1Gbps)
And for reading, it is able to read at 295MB/s!
If I do speed tests with the "Nas performance tester 1.7" application, it writes on average at 129MB/s and reading at 294MB/s too!
I have also tried to transfer via FTP and am getting the same transfer speeds.
* The worst part is that I already transferred at 227MB/s during my first tests without the switch, but I am no longer able to reach this speed !? (I tried again without the switch, but I'm stuck at 125MB/s)
I don't know if it's not a config in Windows which limits me to 1Gbps??? (If I check the parameters of the network card it is indeed at 2.5Gbps however)

Do any of you have ideas or have experienced the problem?

***Sorry for my english, is not my first language.

My PC is a CPU Ryzen 9, MSI MAG X570 motherboard with 2.5G LAN
WD Black SN850 & Seagate Firecuda 520 NVME SSD
AS6604T NAS with Seagate Exos 16tb drive
switch: TrendNet TEG-S380 (2.5G) also tested with the QNAP QSW-1105-5T
Cat8 and Cat7 cables
Attachments
QNAP QSW-1105-5T - CAT8 - Speed - NAS performance 1.7_LI
QNAP QSW-1105-5T - CAT8 - Speed - NAS performance 1.7_LI
QNAP QSW-1105-5T - CAT8 - Speed - NAS performance 1.7_LI.jpg (1.65 MiB) Viewed 2142 times
NAS Network speed
NAS Network speed
AS6604T - Réglages Réseau_LI.jpg (1.62 MiB) Viewed 2142 times
Network card speed
Network card speed
Carte réseau_LI.jpg (1.57 MiB) Viewed 2142 times
orion

Re: Write transfert speed locked at 1G (125MB/s)!? (PC to NAS with 2.5G Connexion)

Post by orion »

What's the configuration of your volume? Single, RAID-1 or RAID-5? And did you enable link aggregation? If not, you should use only one 2.5G port in NAS.

By the way, you can test iometer which can test multiple accesses at the same time. NPT usually does one access at the same time.
Nazar78

Re: Write transfert speed locked at 1G (125MB/s)!? (PC to NAS with 2.5G Connexion)

Post by Nazar78 »

129MB/s already exceeds the typical 1Gbps transfer so there should be no issue with your network. However even with a single modern hdd write transfer over 2.5G, you should be able to saturate the hdd writes at about 200-240MB/s or 270-280MB/s on certain raid config. I'm getting about 290 reads and 280 writes on raid 10 over alb ipv6 2.5G qnap switch. 300 if jumbo frames enabled but it's not compatible with WAN so I had it off.

As orion mentioned, please share your volume config. It could be some sync or rebuild process running in the background.
AS5304T - 16GB DDR4 - ADM-OS modded on 2GB RAM
Internal:
- 4x10TB Toshiba RAID10 Ext4-Journal=Off
External 5 Bay USB3:
- 4x2TB Seagate modded RAID0 Btrfs-Compression
- 480GB Intel SSD for modded dm-cache (initramfs auto update patch) and Apps

When posting, consider checking the box "Notify me when a reply is posted" to get faster response
Wiserx

Post by Wiserx »

orion wrote:What's the configuration of your volume? Single, RAID-1 or RAID-5? And did you enable link aggregation? If not, you should use only one 2.5G port in NAS.
Thanks for the feedback!
Currently, my disc is in "Single" because I am waiting to receive my 4x 16TB Exos since May 6th!
What I find strange is that I already hit 227MB/sec at the start, but now I never go over 125MB/sec for writing.
I have also tried all of the Link Aggregation setups, but since I only have one PC transmitting at the moment, there are no benefits. There was no improvement on the transfer rate as well.

Normally at 2.5G, I should transfer at around 230MB/sec.
orion

Post by orion »

Wiserx wrote: Thanks for the feedback!
Currently, my disc is in "Single" because I am waiting to receive my 4x 16TB Exos since May 6th!
What I find strange is that I already hit 227MB/sec at the start, but now I never go over 125MB/sec for writing.
I have also tried all of the Link Aggregation setups, but since I only have one PC transmitting at the moment, there are no benefits. There was no improvement on the transfer rate as well.

Normally at 2.5G, I should transfer at around 230MB/sec.
Single disk is not optimized for performance. However your disk is new enough. The RW bandwidth should be higher than 200MB/s for your disk. There are many facts to impact to performance result. As Nazar78 pointed out, CPU usages on your PC and NAS. You should check it first.

And you should keep only one LAN port connected (NAS side). Do iometer test. I guess the result should be higher than 200MB/s easily. If yes, you can focus on software settings, rather than hardware. It might be caused by certain software settings in your PC side / NAS side (antivirus software or something).

Return to “[Official] For AS52xx/53xx/66xx Series”