NAS Shutdown Query

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

NavyGuy@TV
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

NAS Shutdown Query

Post by NavyGuy@TV »

Two days ago i needed to shut down my nas so i used the button on the front of the nas. When it restarted it had disk activity for over 12 hours with all 4 leds flashing constantly and the nas sounding like a washing machine. I could still write to the nas. It finally stopped. I could not see anything in the log.
Today i needed to shut down the nas again and i have used the browser interface and tried to shut it down. It immediately showed on the led facia "shutting down please wait". It has been like that for 20 mins now - the green led bar is flashing fast. Is this normal or another asustor quirk?(seems to be a few compared to my synology).
Do i just pull the plug?
Thank you
Nazar78

Re: NAS Shutdown Query

Post by Nazar78 »

I could not see anything in the log.
During the high activities you can take a look at the Activity Monitor Processes to find out roughly what it's doing, especially higher CPU % process, could be indexing process. Or could be it's doing resync, take a look at the Storage Manager Overview. It does that to me twice when I restarted and some of the services hangs due to stuck apps I'm not sure. I did some mod to force an auto restart if the shutdown hangs but it involves modifying the internals. If you have lots of apps running and the uptime is long maybe few weeks, there's a chance the shutdown will hang. You can ssh into the NAS as root and force it restart: reboot -fn. This will force reboot bypassing init and will not sync disk buffers (make sure no backup process running prior).

Whatever it is try refrain from pulling the plug it's bad for the disks.
AS5304T - 16GB DDR4 - ADM-OS modded on 2GB RAM
Internal:
- 4x10TB Toshiba RAID10 Ext4-Journal=Off
External 5 Bay USB3:
- 4x2TB Seagate modded RAID0 Btrfs-Compression
- 480GB Intel SSD for modded dm-cache (initramfs auto update patch) and Apps

When posting, consider checking the box "Notify me when a reply is posted" to get faster response
NavyGuy@TV

Post by NavyGuy@TV »

Thank you for your reply Nazar78.
The nas has only been on for 24 hours, i've just pulled the plug and restarted it again. I've got a nas sounding like a washing machine again and frantic disk led flashing.
The cpu utilization is 4% and drives are showing 10MB/sec read and write. The main processes are md1_raid5 and kworker/2:3.
All the reviews of this nas mentioned how great it was but never mentioned this sort of rubbish going on.
I've never used ssh so i'm a bit shy of trying that.
Nazar78

Post by Nazar78 »

No problem. md1_raid5 using the CPU could be an indication it's doing a resync. This can be seen from the Storage Manager Overview or more details in the SSH console cat /proc/mdstat.

But frankly this doesn't happen only to Asustor, even normal PC builds that's using mdadm or even Raspberry PIs.

It's ok you don't have to use SSH, but instead of pulling the plug, you can press and hold the power button for few secs it will turn off. It's still not recommended to do this but it's still safer than pulling the plug as the system is somewhat aware it's going down hard thus probably stop interacting further with the disks hoping the head will park. Head spinning on the platters + power cut = bad.
AS5304T - 16GB DDR4 - ADM-OS modded on 2GB RAM
Internal:
- 4x10TB Toshiba RAID10 Ext4-Journal=Off
External 5 Bay USB3:
- 4x2TB Seagate modded RAID0 Btrfs-Compression
- 480GB Intel SSD for modded dm-cache (initramfs auto update patch) and Apps

When posting, consider checking the box "Notify me when a reply is posted" to get faster response
NavyGuy@TV

Post by NavyGuy@TV »

I held the power button for 15 seconds and nothing happened hence the plug maneuver.
The storage manager shows all drives with a green tick and healthy no other information.

Return to “[Official] For AS52xx/53xx/66xx Series”