Does any part of the OS get saved on the drives?

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

ace106
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Does any part of the OS get saved on the drives?

Post by ace106 »

I'm just wondering if any part of the operating system of the nas gets saved to the drives during the initialization setup. I've seen conflicting comments about it online where some say things do get saved but others say nothing does.
orion

Re: Does any part of the OS get saved on the drives?

Post by orion »

Which comments are conflicting?
ace106

Post by ace106 »

I came across these statements on reddit.

Questions - "Can the NVMe M.2 SSD be used to store ADM and utilities since they can be allocated as storage?"
Answer - "Yes you can. Just add the m.2 as the first volume and it will install stuff their by default."

Also this statement:
"I have put two m.2 drivers as raid0. Didn’t see significant speed boost. But the machine did become much quieter. Also, after installing os on m.2. I added a new ram....."

But then I saw this on youtube in the comments to an ASUSTOR TV video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFmnwx75mt4

Question - "When I have hard disk in all 4 trays for storage, can i add one NVMe to use as boot drive to speed up booting time ? How to do that as it is not taught in any docuementation?"

The response from ASUSTOR TV:
"No. ADM is stored on separate flash media."

So my confusion comes from these which seem to conflict with each other. Some say parts of the OS get saved on the drives and yet the ASUSTOR TV channel say that is not the case.
orion

Post by orion »

mm... I don't think those comments are the direct answer to your question. And I cannot see the conflicts (correct me if I'm wrong). And I believe it depends on configuration. Anyway, what point do you encounter (problems or effects)?

Return to “[Official] For AS52xx/53xx/66xx Series”