AS6604T will not boot

aragorn
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

AS6604T will not boot

Post by aragorn »

I have a newly installed AS6604T that will not boot. I had initially installed the data & cache drives, booted the device, updated the ADM software and had it up and running for 24 hours or so (other than password and static IP change I have not used the device). Unfortunately I had a power bar get bumped which caused a hard shutdown after which I powering it back on and it has flashing green light with "booting storage, please wait" message. I cycled power again and same issue. As a test I pulled the data drives and the NAS boots (with setup splash screen through the management IP). I then powered off, reinstalled the data drives and issue remains with green light flashing and "booting storage, please wait" displayed. I left it like that for more than 24 hrs thinking it might be doing a consistency / array check but still no go. As this is a new device I have no data loss, but I am trying to troubleshoot why it won’t boot (I am assuming corruption) but support documentation online is limited. I have a ticket open it is moving slow so I was hoping to get some assistance through the forum. Thanks.
orion

Re: AS6604T will not boot

Post by orion »

It sounds like that ADM OS (on a partition of every disk, mirrored) is damaged. It's hard to deduce what happened without detailed log (NAS green LED is blinking). So, I think the simplest way is to reinitialize NAS again (because NAS is new and store nothing).
aragorn

Post by aragorn »

Thanks Orion,

After the initial test where I had removed all disks (which booted). I had read in a another post that the ADM is spread across all disks so thought I would try inserting a disk at a time to see if it would indicate a bad disk or come back online. I inserted disk 1 and powered up, it booted and I logged in as normal. I checked disk health/ raid status then powered off. Then I did this for each additional drive, one after the other, checking disk health/ raid status each time then powered off. After the final disk was inserted it all booted back up, and storage manager (SMART and ironwolf HS) indicate all drives / raid are healthy with no errors and I cannot figure out what the issue was and why it was hung on "booting-storage". I had sent a detailed log to support, and they asked for access to remote into the NAS to look further. I am still waiting to hear back from them. I purchased the NAS primarily for backup and network storage so I am a bit concerned of the reliability with it not booting after a hard shutdown but I am hoping it is just a firmware bug.
aragorn

Post by aragorn »

Just to follow up - It looks like the array had not completed synchronization and/or the ADM became damaged/corrupted during the hard shutdown as discussed. It is a very intensive process on the drives and should not be interrupted if possible. Asustor support was good considering the time differential, they did check it thoroughly and were helpful. I have been unable to recreate the issue since and it has been running stable after re-initialization. After using it for just a short time now and getting more familiar with it I am pleased with this NAS.

Return to “[Official] For AS52xx/53xx/66xx Series”