AS6604T Randomly Turning Off

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

ChubChub
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

AS6604T Randomly Turning Off

Post by ChubChub »

This NAS is on a battery backup with PLENTY of spare power. I've tested it to ensure it doesn't have issue powering the NAS, all good there. As well, the battery backup doesn't indicate there are any new power events, so it never even needs to turn on.

Every few days, the NAS us just off. I have no idea how to see what is causing it. Is there a log somewhere that shows why it turned off? Maybe a log that says "system shutdown abnormally last time" even? I've had a lot of random problems with this NAS, but it just being off randomly? Really makes me want to just move my data somewhere else because it loses it's mind and eats all of my data.
Nazar78

Re: AS6604T Randomly Turning Off

Post by Nazar78 »

The kernel log is stored in the temp rootfs (/var/log) which will be gone on hard reboot. On proper shutdown it will be saved in /volume0/.@system/kernellog. The reason to this is not to keep the disks awake writing to the logs. So it's quite useless unless you can capture the last few lines before the system power went out. You can try SSH into the NAS then run:

Code: Select all

tail -f /var/log/messages>>/share/Public/troubleshoot.log 2>&1&
There'll be no output and it's not persistent but if the system were to crash again, hopefully there's something you can see in /share/Public/troubleshoot.log the next time you reboot.

But it's most probably an issue with the backup battery itself or the power adapter. To be sure, try running the NAS few days without the backup battery which means connect the power adapter directly to the power socket.
AS5304T - 16GB DDR4 - ADM-OS modded on 2GB RAM
Internal:
- 4x10TB Toshiba RAID10 Ext4-Journal=Off
External 5 Bay USB3:
- 4x2TB Seagate modded RAID0 Btrfs-Compression
- 480GB Intel SSD for modded dm-cache (initramfs auto update patch) and Apps

When posting, consider checking the box "Notify me when a reply is posted" to get faster response
ChubChub

Post by ChubChub »

Replaced the power supply: same problem. Replaced the power supply again: same problem. Connected a smart outlet to it to monitor the power: everything looks normal then it just turns off. Took out the RAM and tested it in my laptop: aok. Tried 1 stick, 2 sticks, in all possible combinations: same.

Takes about 6-7 days before it randomly turns off. Pulled out all the drives and re-installed the OS to a new NVMe: same.

Turns out it's either that the OS sucks, or my hardware sucks. Bad luck I guess. Working on warrantee now.
Nazar78

Post by Nazar78 »

Probably hardware issue, warranty claim would be wise.
AS5304T - 16GB DDR4 - ADM-OS modded on 2GB RAM
Internal:
- 4x10TB Toshiba RAID10 Ext4-Journal=Off
External 5 Bay USB3:
- 4x2TB Seagate modded RAID0 Btrfs-Compression
- 480GB Intel SSD for modded dm-cache (initramfs auto update patch) and Apps

When posting, consider checking the box "Notify me when a reply is posted" to get faster response

Return to “[Official] For AS52xx/53xx/66xx Series”