From AS5304 to AS6604 - Hard drive questions/help needed!

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

kz2013
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

From AS5304 to AS6604 - Hard drive questions/help needed!

Post by kz2013 »

So I sold my 5304 - and ordered a 6604. Should be a walk in the park to move the disks over according to Asustor. Well, not according to me.

I started the 6604 with a brand new 500GB SSD in bay 1. After the NAS booted up, all looks good. So far. Then I power it off, and insert the three hard drives that occupied bay 2,3 and 4 on the old 5304. Power up....

I am not using RAID, so its just JBOD and I'm fine with that. But I cant for the life of me get the three disks working again. In the Storage Manager -> Drive they are all listed as "Disc volume: --------" and "Status: Inactive". What am I missing here?? I go to the "Access Control" and there is no way to set up the other three disks to use them.

Again, what am I missing here? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
------------------------------------------------
ASUSTOR AS-5304T 16TB
ASUSTOR AS-302-T 3TB
Samsung QE55Q7FNA
Samsung ES8005 55" 3D LED
Samsung HTB-H7500WM
Samsung HT-FS9200
Nazar78

Re: From AS5304 to AS6604 - Hard drive questions/help needed!

Post by Nazar78 »

I think the issue was you using a new SSD initialized
OS in bay 1 so this is a new NAS all together. To migrate to a new NAS, take the 3 old disks and transfer them to the new NAS then power it up. They can be any order but bay 1 needs to detect your old disk containing the old OS. Then only you can introduce the SSD as a new volume or cache.

Take a look here https://www.asustor.com/online/College_topic?topic=343

I'm aware that you're planning to have the SSD as the volume1 to hold the apps but this requires new initialization or at least some Linux skills to unofficially modify the system config attempting to preserve the data volumes.
AS5304T - 16GB DDR4 - ADM-OS modded on 2GB RAM
Internal:
- 4x10TB Toshiba RAID10 Ext4-Journal=Off
External 5 Bay USB3:
- 4x2TB Seagate modded RAID0 Btrfs-Compression
- 480GB Intel SSD for modded dm-cache (initramfs auto update patch) and Apps

When posting, consider checking the box "Notify me when a reply is posted" to get faster response
kz2013

Post by kz2013 »

Thank you for your reply!

Yeah, I have made the mother of all f***-ups. Whem I sold the 5304 it all happened fast, so I just removed the disks, however, I actually DID mark them BAY2, 3, 4.

BUT!

I was thinking that since It's a new NAS, I had to have a new disk in bay 1... So I copied what I wanted to keep from that SSD onto another disk, and reformatted the damn thing... Yes, I am an effin eejit...

So, like you say - the disk in bay 1 is 'new', so the whole system is 'new'. How on earth can I get those 3 remaining disks to work without having to format them as well? Is there a smart way to access the disks so I can start the painful way of trying to rescue the data?
ASUSTOR AS-5304T 16TB
ASUSTOR AS-302-T 3TB
Samsung QE55Q7FNA
Samsung HTB-H7500WM
Samsung HT-FS9200
Nazar78

Post by Nazar78 »

So your 5304 has 4 disks including the SSD in bay 1 which contains the old OS and config that you reformatted.

For this case, there's no easy way, you only got two options:

1. Mount your data disks to a Linux PC to recover. This involves copying the data to a temporary location, introduce the disks to the new NAS then copy back the data. A very long winded and time consuming method.

2. Unofficially (no support from Asustor) modify the new OS system config. You'll have to recreate the config to match your previous data volumes. This is the fastest way but requires some knowledge. Search my previous posts I've mentioned a few. They are for RAID or single volume configs but it should be similar for JBOD with slight changes trial and error. If you're unsure, you should seek remote assistance from someone who knows their stuffs.
Internal:
External 5 Bay USB3:

When posting, consider checking the box "Notify me when a reply is posted" to get faster response
kz2013

Post by kz2013 »

Thank you so much for your replies Nazar78! I REALLY appreciate it!!
Nazar78 wrote:1. Mount your data disks to a Linux PC to recover. This involves copying the data to a temporary location, introduce the disks to the new NAS then copy back the data. A very long winded and time consuming method.
Yeah, I have been thinking about doing it this way, I have next to no experience with Linux at all, so I would need a few tips here.

I have an old tower x64 Win PC that I can use, but which Linux OS would you recommend? I have over average knowledge of Windows use, are there any Linux OS that resembles Win?
Nazar78 wrote:2. Unofficially (no support from Asustor) modify the new OS system config. You'll have to recreate the config to match your previous data volumes. This is the fastest way but requires some knowledge. Search my previous posts I've mentioned a few. They are for RAID or single volume configs but it should be similar for JBOD with slight changes trial and error. If you're unsure, you should seek remote assistance from someone who knows their stuffs.
I would be able to do this in theory - as I remember how the setup was like, but as far as coding, in Linux.... oh man - that would be a extremely challenging.

If you would be so kind as to point me in the direction of a Linux OS that you think would be of use to a n00b like me, I would be forever grateful!
ASUSTOR AS-5304T 16TB
ASUSTOR AS-302-T 3TB
Samsung QE55Q7FNA
Samsung HTB-H7500WM
Samsung HT-FS9200
kz2013

Post by kz2013 »

Nazar78 wrote:So your 5304 has 4 disks including the SSD in bay 1 which contains the old OS and config that you reformatted
I am beginning to suspect the 'new' OS drive is having some sort of issues. When going to Storage Manager, it takes ages for the OS disk to appear, and when it does - it stops like this pic: Image

The disk data that should be shown, are not, no matter how long I let this page sit loading...

Maybe a total reset would be for the best.... This is starting to feel like a nas nightmare :-/
ASUSTOR AS-5304T 16TB
ASUSTOR AS-302-T 3TB
Samsung QE55Q7FNA
Samsung HTB-H7500WM
Samsung HT-FS9200
Nazar78

Post by Nazar78 »

kz2013 wrote:Yeah, I have been thinking about doing it this way, I have next to no experience with Linux at all, so I would need a few tips here.

I have an old tower x64 Win PC that I can use, but which Linux OS would you recommend? I have over average knowledge of Windows use, are there any Linux OS that resembles Win?
Several methods, using any modern Linux VM client on the Win PC host, expose the HDDs as raw passthrough or USB filters via enclosures or sata ports. Or boot the PC using bootable media containing Live USB or any modern Linux installer like Ubuntu without actually installing the OS, just making use of the environment. Connect the HDDs to the PC via enclosures or sata ports, if you don't see your data volumes, you may need to install mdadm if it's not already included in the bootable media.
kz2013 wrote:I would be able to do this in theory - as I remember how the setup was like, but as far as coding, in Linux.... oh man - that would be a extremely challenging.

If you would be so kind as to point me in the direction of a Linux OS that you think would be of use to a n00b like me, I would be forever grateful!
Disclaimer, modifying your NAS may affect the warranty hence do this at your own discretion as I'll not be held responsible. Proceed with due diligence.

This is relatively quick, done in just few minutes. Boot up the NAS with all SSD (1st bay) and HDDs (preferably in your previous order). Simply enable SSH in the Services then log into the shell using Putty in Windows as root, password same as the admin account. Checkout your HDD list and data partitions: ls -l /dev/sd?4 and the RAID structure: cat /proc/mdstat.

Ok here's the part I'm not sure because I don't use JBOD on Asustor. That is if Asustor still do partitions for JBOD. Asustor will create 4 partitions for RAID and even for single volumes. If similar method also applies to JBOD, you should see x4 entries /dev/sd[a-d]4 listed in the "ls" command above. /dev/sda4 is the SSD in bay 1. sdb4, sdc4, sdd4 are your HDDs. If so, you'll need to assemble the arrays.

Code: Select all

# 2nd bay HDD
mdadm --assemble --force --verbose /dev/md2 /dev/sdb4

# 3rd bay HDD
mdadm --assemble --force --verbose /dev/md3 /dev/sdc4

# 4th bay HDD
mdadm --assemble --force --verbose /dev/md4 /dev/sdd4
If succeed, mount all the data volumes of your 3 HDDs into a separate 3 temporary folders.

mkdir -p /mnt/volumeY
mount /dev/mdX /mnt/volumeY
Y is the volume number 2-4 of your 3 HDDs.

The system config you need to modify is /volume0/usr/etc/volume.conf with references from/mnt/volumeY/.@system/volume.conf. You can use vim to edit (Google how to use) or use WinSCP SFTP into the NAS to edit the file. Take note of CR/LF differences between DOS and Linux, just use the internal editor or something like Notepad++ or Editplus ensure you're editing in CR mode else it will mess up the file.

Suggest you make a backup of the original file.

cp -a /volume0/usr/etc/volume.conf /volume0/usr/etc/volume.conf.`date +%Y%m%d-%H%M%S`
Copy the contents of each HDDs, /mnt/volumeY/.@system/volume.conf then append it to the /volume0/usr/etc/volume.conf while also changing its header from [volume] to [volumeY] accordingly.

When done, reboot.
kz2013 wrote:I am beginning to suspect the 'new' OS drive is having some sort of issues. When going to Storage Manager, it takes ages for the OS disk to appear, and when it does - it stops like this pic: Image

The disk data that should be shown, are not, no matter how long I let this page sit loading...

Maybe a total reset would be for the best.... This is starting to feel like a nas nightmare :-/
This is common especially after reboot or hibernate, I believe it's the indexing taxing the volumes, it will eventually complete.

Edited: The 2nd steps above are for single disk volumes. I just did a quick look at my NAS, Asustor seems to be using lvm for JBOD. I'm familiar with lvm and JBOD but as I said I don't use JBOD on Asustor so it's unsure how Asustor handles it unless I take a look.
Last edited by Nazar78 on Fri Sep 30, 2022 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Internal:
External 5 Bay USB3:

Nazar78

Post by Nazar78 »

Let's continue from PM back to here. Since Asustor still does partitions for JBOD albeit I'm still not sure how it loads without the original volume 0 and 1, you might want to try booting without the SSD, turn off, place the 3 HDDs in the first few bays then turn it back on see if you can get back your missing volumes.

Ps: check the notify box so you'll get email notifications almost instantly when there's replies. Also take note of my previous post "Edited".
Internal:
External 5 Bay USB3:

Return to “[Official] For AS52xx/53xx/66xx Series”