NAS reports "Uninitialized"

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

maineiac13
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

NAS reports "Uninitialized"

Post by maineiac13 »

I have an AS5304T with 4 WD 10TB HDs running on Raid 5. I was having some difficulty accessing some files so I shut down the NAS and then restarted it. After restart the NAS now reports "Uninitialized." The process to initialize the NAS would delete all the files on the NAS, so that is obviously not the preferred option for me. To troubleshoot the situation here is what I tried:

1. I removed the 4 10TB HDs and replaced (in slot 1) an old 1TB HDD that I found available. Then I initialized the NAS and it seemed to work fine and recognized the 1TB HDD as healthy and active.
2. I removed the 1TB HDD and put the 4 10TB HDs back in the system, but again the NAS reported as uninitialized.
3. I put the 1TB HDD back in along with 3 of the 10TB HDs. The NAS then was working but reported the 3 10TB HDs as Healthy, but inactive. I tried various options with this setup changing location of disks, etc, but this was always the result.

I have a ticket in with Asustor support and am awaiting a response but thought I would check here if there are any ideas.

Fortunately, my data is backed up.

Thanks, Ken
Araneum

Re: NAS reports "Uninitialized"

Post by Araneum »

Any chance your NAS was infected/hacked with Deadbolt?
maineiac13

Post by maineiac13 »

Araneum wrote:Any chance your NAS was infected/hacked with Deadbolt?
Don't know, but how would I know if I was?
Araneum

Post by Araneum »

maineiac13 wrote:
Araneum wrote:Any chance your NAS was infected/hacked with Deadbolt?
Don't know, but how would I know if I was?
I am not sure: even if your NAS says it is uninitialized, can you log into the NAS via your desktop?

I am just a newbie / home user and all my knowledge about NAS comes from reading a lot online, but not understanding everything.
Before re-initializing, wait till Asustor picks up your ticket or comes with furter information about how to act (as announced earlier today).
maineiac13

Post by maineiac13 »

Araneum wrote:
I am not sure: even if your NAS says it is uninitialized, can you log into the NAS via your desktop?
No login when uninitialized. Login ok when I add the old 1TB HD as described in the first post.
drobbs74

Post by drobbs74 »

I am having the same problem as described here. Did you find any resolution for this? Thanks!

I sorted this out. During my cleaning I don't think I had one of the HDDs seated all of the way upon re-installation.
helgrimm

Post by helgrimm »

maineiac13 wrote:I have an AS5304T with 4 WD 10TB HDs running on Raid 5. I was having some difficulty accessing some files so I shut down the NAS and then restarted it. After restart the NAS now reports "Uninitialized." The process to initialize the NAS would delete all the files on the NAS, so that is obviously not the preferred option for me.
Out of curiosity: Did you resolve the matter without having to resort to the backup data?
AS5304T + AS6004U + 4 x SEAGATE EXOS 16TB + 2 x SEAGATE IRONWOLF 8TB + 2 x WD 4TB
maineiac13

Post by maineiac13 »

It was a Deadbolt issue so I ended up initializing and then restoring from my backup
Nazar78

Post by Nazar78 »

Anyone who has the same issue can try to recover your data from my post shared here: https://forum.asustor.com/viewtopic.php ... 403#p43338

You should be able to quickly get back your data volumes without resorting to reinitialization as that would completely wipe off your data.
AS5304T - 16GB DDR4 - ADM-OS modded on 2GB RAM
Internal:
- 4x10TB Toshiba RAID10 Ext4-Journal=Off
External 5 Bay USB3:
- 4x2TB Seagate modded RAID0 Btrfs-Compression
- 480GB Intel SSD for modded dm-cache (initramfs auto update patch) and Apps

When posting, consider checking the box "Notify me when a reply is posted" to get faster response

Return to “[Official] For AS52xx/53xx/66xx Series”