Minimum set of apps for simple backups

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

JacktheRipperPhD
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Minimum set of apps for simple backups

Post by JacktheRipperPhD »

I bought my Asustor NAS to do simple backups of my home PCs, nothing more. I don't want access on mobile devices. I don't want to stream video to my TVs. I just want to backup selected folders (Documents, Pictures, Music, Videos) from each PC on my home network (all Windows 10 laptops). What is the minimum set of installed apps to do this? I frankly am bewildered by the 604 (and counting) apps in the app store. With near-perfect ignorance I installed some of those apps, but never really figured out how (or why) to use them. I would like to remove them just to simplify my life. Any help would be appreciated...
Becoming a happy customer, as I figure all this out
orion

Re: Minimum set of apps for simple backups

Post by orion »

How about 1. Setup NAS without other apps, 2. Install Asustor Backup Plan software to all Windows 10 PCs. Run Asustor Backup Plan...
JacktheRipperPhD

Re: Minimum set of apps for simple backups

Post by JacktheRipperPhD »

Thanks, that worked perfectly. I must have missed seeing that app when I first set up my NAS. Turns out Backup Plan is very similar to what I was using on my previous Buffalo NAS: SyncBackPro (there's a free version too). One feature I like about SyncBackPro is that it has integrated ransomware protection. You can designate one or more files that will "never change", and if they do change, presumably from encryption, the backup run is aborted intentionally. Now, on to installing a media server so I can watch my drone video files on my TV. I'll work that in another thread. Thanks again...Jack
Becoming a happy customer, as I figure all this out

Return to “[Official] For AS52xx/53xx/66xx Series”