6604T Sleep Mode

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

NavyGuy@TV
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

6604T Sleep Mode

Post by NavyGuy@TV »

I have just set up my 6604T with 4 6TB drives and 2 SSD's. It has been running for 3 days and the first 2 it would go in to sleep mode but as of yesterday it is running constantly.
When i use the diagnostic mode Settings -> Energy Control -> Diagnostic Tool it says mdadm is accessing the disks about every 10 seconds. I have no data on the nas yet and the only thing i have set up is the ironwolf health manager. I have not installed any apps.
Can i have some advice please, I'm stuck.
Further info - I did a factory reset and have set up a user and disabled admin.
I have set up sleep mode and set to 30 mins.
Hopefully after synchronisation all will be well.
After synchronisation all good so far, i will be adjusting setting one at a time to see if anything causes a problem.
orion

Re: 6604T Sleep Mode

Post by orion »

If NAS is still synchronizing, it means NAS is still accessing disks. That's totally normal.
NavyGuy@TV

Post by NavyGuy@TV »

The disk accessing is occurring 24 hours after completion of synchronisation.
I have added several folders to the nas and it appears to work correctly but never changing mode to hibernation or sleep.
orion

Post by orion »

If you mean your condition is "synchronization task is done, and no accesses for 30 minutes or more", it could be a problem.

Anyway, somebodies here discussed the similar issue: viewtopic.php?f=240&t=11919. Asustor might be able to provide solution latter (one of them got replies from asustor support). You can read that thread.
NavyGuy@TV

Post by NavyGuy@TV »

Orion
Yes that is what is occurring. Computer shut down for 12 hours and yet nas still running.
Thanks for the link, i shall read through the discussion.
Delgado

Post by Delgado »

You could unplug the network cable and see if anything changes. If the NAS goes into S3 sleep, the cause is the network traffic (constant access to the NAS from the LAN). If the NAS does not go into S3 sleep, the cause is the NAS itself (ADM settings, possible apps). I have also installed Ironwolf Health Management. That is definitely not a problem, it works perfectly for me.
NavyGuy@TV

Post by NavyGuy@TV »

Delgado i tried unplugging the network cable and it made no difference.
I went for the work around as suggested by orion of converting the SSD's to volume 1 and my 5TB drives to volume 2. It's not a proper fix but given the what i consider floundering suggestions form the Asustor support people i had no other option if i wanted to stop the disk activity.
Clearly Asustor have no idea how to solve what if you search google is a very common problem. I am disappointed with their response.
My initial thought when purchasing a new nas was to go Synology but the reviews for the AS6604T were glowing.
From now on any hardware purchase by me will include a thorough search of forums for problems.
Thank you for replying to my topic.
Delgado

Post by Delgado »

Synology does not offer the S3 Sleep feature at all. For me, this is the most important feature, as the NAS sleeps 95% of the time. Synology offered this feature years ago for two NAS types. E.g. the DS213+ with a PowerPC CPU can do the system hibernation, but to be honest, it was an absolute disaster. I had bought this NAS at the time and was just annoyed. The smallest network traffic woke up the NAS. The forums are full of this problem. Synology got away from it again. Today Synology only offers HDD hibernation. There is no longer a system hibernation as with ASUSTOR. I think ASUS has also solved this well, that only a WOL can wake up the NAS. This ensures that not every network scan can wake up the NAS.

However, I admit that I have also installed an SSD as Volume 1. Before buying the AS6604T, I had read in this forum that this is better.

Return to “[Official] For AS52xx/53xx/66xx Series”