Still Have Hibernation Problem and a Cache Query

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

NavyGuy@TV
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Still Have Hibernation Problem and a Cache Query

Post by NavyGuy@TV »

My 6604t has updated adm to Version 3.5.7.RJR1.
I still have a nas that will not go in to hibernation, checking the log it has actmand system query tool writing to the disk every 5 mins. How do i stop this?
Also checking the storage manager my cache which is 2 1TB ssd's is showing a usage of 905GB and only 4MB spare - is this normal? CPU usage is 0%.
Whilst i can read/write to the nas all these niggly problems makes me second guess my decision to go asustor over synology.
orion

Re: Still Have Hibernation Problem and a Cache Query

Post by orion »

NavyGuy@TV wrote:My 6604t has updated adm to Version 3.5.7.RJR1.
I still have a nas that will not go in to hibernation, checking the log it has actmand system query tool writing to the disk every 5 mins. How do i stop this?
I believe there are side effects if you stop this task. This is another thought to get rid of the problem: viewtopic.php?f=240&t=11712
NavyGuy@TV

Post by NavyGuy@TV »

Thank you orion for the link.
I'll have to have a good read and see if i think i can do as they suggest without getting it all wrong and breaking something.
I submitted a ticket to asustor and there suggestion was to remove the ssd cache. That has not worked.
Last edited by NavyGuy@TV on Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
ndl101

Post by ndl101 »

NavyGuy@TV wrote:My 6604t has updated adm to Version 3.5.7.RJR1.
"actmand" is a builtin system "service" by Asustor. I have no idea about what it does but I imagine that stopping it will have some sort of consequences, perhaps depending on the usage pattern of the NAS. (I might just stop it on my own NAS just to see what breaks and thus what is does).
I have had similar issues with regular (read mostly constant) disk activity. Digging a little into it, it appeared that for me there was multiple causes, mdadm, portainer, docker etc. I decided to use the NVMe slots for a RAID 1 setup and went through the initialization process again with only the NVMes attached. I then migrated the remaining content and disks. The "spinning rust" disks now properly powers down. This is not really a solution but merely a workaround as the initial cause of the disk activity would still be there, just on the NVMes instead and probably lowering their lifespan. Naturally, this eliminates the possibility to use the NVMes as a cache but I do not have that need anyway. For now, this is a pragmatic and "good enough" solution for me for now but I might just install a proper Linux distro on the NVMes at some point thus bypassing ADM totally. I think Asustor is attempting to address the disk activity issue but I do not know the status of it.

NavyGuy@TV wrote: I submitted a ticket to asustor and there suggestion was to remove the ssd cache. That has not worked.
Well, I cannot for the life of me understand what would make them think this would help, unless the system is attempting to populate the cache preemptively based on file attributes such as "atime"/"diratime" and the like. I Imagine this would increase disk activity.
NavyGuy@TV wrote: Also checking the storage manager my cache which is 2 1TB ssd's is showing a usage of 905GB and only 4MB spare - is this normal? CPU usage is 0%.
Now, I do not know for certain how this particular cache implementation is supposed to work but usually the point of a cache is to actually retain data for faster/easier access. In some cache implementations there is a TTL (lifespan duration) defined for the data as well after which the data is refreshed on access. Other cache implementations attempt to predict a usage pattern and preemptively populates the cache based on the pattern. "Dumb caches" just caches the data indefinitely unless the data is changed. Generally, cache implementations tend to dump data when running out of space by whatever criteria that makes sense for the given implementation, e.g. age, access count, usage pattern etc.
TL;DR: If I were you, I would not worry about the usage/available space on the cache unless you are actually seeing performance degradation or no performance gain at all.
NavyGuy@TV wrote: Whilst i can read/write to the nas all these niggly problems makes me second guess my decision to go asustor over synology.
Well, as I understand it, for consumer-grade products and in terms of (software) platform "niceness" and maturity, nothing beats Synology but they are, however, closely followed by QNAP. Where Asustor is ranked compared to those, I do not know. Personally, I mostly bought my AS6604T for the hardware as I wanted something that I "easily" could install Linux on when it eventually went into EOL (end-of-life with no official software updates). Until then, as long as the platform an run containers and do virtualization, most things can to done, though not as easily. However, I do agree that the software platform is a little worse off than I expected it to be (and I really believe that Asustor made some really weird and odd decisions regarding design and implementation). On positive note, though, the feature requests and suggestions I have made via the support ticket system seems to have been welcome and handled positively (I have no deadlines, though). Maybe the platform as a product is maturing, I do now now for sure but I think it might, albeit slowly. Then again, I have not had my NAS for very long but to be fair, I have seen two minor software updates released during that same short period.
If one does not have the time nor/or technical skills to tinker with the platform in order to configure/extend it or just does not have the patience to wait for it to evolve into what one would like it to be, I would not hold it against him if he chose a more, hm, let us call it, accessible product from another manufacturer. However, If you like to learn about technical things in general or specifically want to lean about embedded systems, Linux, containerization, virtualization etc., I say hold onto it and enjoy the ride.

I made it long as I lacked the time to make it short.

---
Help to self-help:
How to ask (good) questions in a forum
---
General information
NAS: Lockerstor 4 (AS6604T)
NavyGuy@TV

Post by NavyGuy@TV »

Asustor have again asked for a Dr Asustor health record and a diagnostic report from energy control.
I am not holding out too much hope on the support system, this is clearly a common problem which regrettably i wish i had found in google before i purchased this thing.
I may have to bite the bullet and carry out the work around as suggested by orion.
Thank you
NavyGuy@TV

Post by NavyGuy@TV »

Asustor have asked me to untick the "enable usage history" and see what happens. This did nothing, problem not resolved.
I have transferred everything off the nas and have set up volume 1 using the ssd's and volume 2 using the 5TB drives. Both are currently synchronizing.
Being new to this part of setting up a nas can i have some direction on how to set up folders on each volume? The vast majority will go to volume 2 obviously. I assume it will be done by tweaking access control and changing shared folders settings
Thank you
orion

Post by orion »

NavyGuy@TV wrote: Being new to this part of setting up a nas can i have some direction on how to set up folders on each volume? The vast majority will go to volume 2 obviously. I assume it will be done by tweaking access control and changing shared folders settings
Thank you
Yes, most of the shares will go to volume 2. Apps are installed onto volume 1. So most of the time, volume 1 is active. But volume 2 should go to hibernation if you did not access volume 2 for a while.

I think there are no general rules about how to create shared folders on volume 2. It depends on how you use your NAS. You can simply create the old shares on volume 2 (of course, the name cannot repeat).
Last edited by orion on Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NavyGuy@TV

Post by NavyGuy@TV »

Thanks orion, i think i have it sorted so i'llee how it goes. So far the nas is going to sleep!

Return to “[Official] For AS52xx/53xx/66xx Series”