May I swap disks from RAID in NAS bays?

VasiliyM6
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

May I swap disks from RAID in NAS bays?

Post by VasiliyM6 »

I have AS53040T that configured as following 3 disks (3 TB) in RAID 5 and 1 disk (4 TB) is MyArchive.
The RAID 5 disks are located in first 3 bays (from left to right bays) - 2 WD Red 3 TB (the hottest temperature) + Seagate IronWolf 3 TB (the coldest). Maybe the leftmost slots are less cool? Or Seagate disc are just colder.

Is it possible to change the order of the drives in bays for disks that are used in the RAID? May I put Seagate in the first slot on the left without RAID impact?
The Asusutor tutorial says that when migrating to a new NAS, the drive order is not important. https://www.asustor.com/en-gb/online/Co ... ?topic=343
The order in which the hard disks sit in the drive bays does not matter and does not have to be the same as in the original system.

If the order of the disks is not important in the new NAS, then maybe it doesn't matter in the original NAS either? Or is it still impossible to change the disk from the first bay?
ASUSTOR AS5304T
HDD (2*WD30EFRX+ST3000VN007) in RAID 5 + WD40PURZ in MyArchive mode
+4 GB RAM KINGSTON VALUERAM KVR24S17S6/4
UPS Ippon Black Basic 650 EURO
orion

Re: May I swap disks from RAID in NAS bays?

Post by orion »

Yes, you can do that. (However I did not try it before.) But you should turn NAS off first. Then change slot position. Then turn NAS on.
VasiliyM6

Re: May I swap disks from RAID in NAS bays?

Post by VasiliyM6 »

Yes, it works. I asked Asustor support and get similar reply.
I tried and it works perfectly.
ASUSTOR AS5304T
HDD (2*WD30EFRX+ST3000VN007) in RAID 5 + WD40PURZ in MyArchive mode
+4 GB RAM KINGSTON VALUERAM KVR24S17S6/4
UPS Ippon Black Basic 650 EURO

Return to “[Official] For AS52xx/53xx/66xx Series”