AS5202T: Automatic fan control

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

Mikam_AT
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

AS5202T: Automatic fan control

Post by Mikam_AT »

Hi,

I recently bought the AS5202T NAS and I'm using it with 2x10TB WD White hard disks. Now it seems that the disks become quite warm even in idle state (>46 degrees) while the fan in auto mode remains on lowest value.
In general (most likely due to the small size of the NAS) the air flow seems not to be unsufficient when the fan is operating on low speed, especially if this front cover is attached to the device.

Is there a way to somehow influence, similar to fan control on a mainboard, the way/threshold on how the fan speed is agreed based on temperature changes of CPU and / or hard disks?

When setting the fan speed manually I have realized that the medium speed already produces a sound level that can be easily recognized and in high setting the NAS sounds similar to a hair dryer.

Does someone have experience with this topic? Or do I have a faulty / bad fan in my NAS device?

And as an optional question not belonging to the OS: Is someone aware of a suitable fan which would produce less noise? The fan size (70x70mm) is hard to find and especially in combination with a PWM (4pin) connector.

Regards,
Mika
sksbir

Re: AS5202T: Automatic fan control

Post by sksbir »

Hi
You cannot change fan without losing the warranty.
Questions about the fine control of the temperature of the discs come up regularly ( usually in the spring, makes you wonder why .... :D ) . I created a script for this in 2017, here: [how to] fan speed override and fine tuning (v2)

The script is still working on my AS5002T, without having to touch it up despite all the firmware updates. This doesn't prevent me from shutting down the NAS once or twice a year to remove dust.
I advise you to install smart_fanspeed.sh which is the most advanced version of my script. It may need to be adapted to your NAS, but there is nothing overwhelming to make it work.
Mikam_AT

Post by Mikam_AT »

Thanks a lot for your support on this. I have just added your scripts to my NAS and now the temperatures are much better under control without increasing the noise level too much. :)

I also decided to keep the front cover removed to allow a better air flow for the hard disks.
Mikam_AT

Post by Mikam_AT »

I have one additional question: Does reading the drivbe temp via smartctl prevent the disks "to fall asleep"? It seems neither the internal nor the 4 external disks go to sleep mode.
sksbir

Post by sksbir »

Mikam_AT wrote:I have one additional question: Does reading the drivbe temp via smartctl prevent the disks "to fall asleep"? It seems neither the internal nor the 4 external disks go to sleep mode.
thats a good question.

Some script enhancement may be done to check that : a short sleep in loop for first 10 or 20 loops, then a much longer sleep. The loop is the one which is in charge of that.

Return to “[Official] For AS52xx/53xx/66xx Series”