[myHD 1.0.2] Application server for Kodi, Plex, etc.

myHD is an isolated (namespace (mnt, IPC, PID)) Ubuntu environment to run Ubuntu application displayed as ASUSTOR Asportal / Xorg applications.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

elvanor
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Re: [myHD 0.9.4] Application server for Kodi, Plex, etc. on Ubuntu 1604/1804

Post by elvanor »

Hello, thanks for the quick reply! Comments below.
father.mande wrote:Hi,

Some points are already discuss in the forum ...
summary :
1 ... to use myHD web ... you need to validate Web server (web admin use another server NOT open for private web interface)
... so validate Apache web server in service ... restart myHD (myHD add configuration for security) (command : myHD restart)
... remember to use (you acn change it later) credential : myhd / asusfr1 to access Web UI
Ok sorry I did not see that. Anyway I dont really need the web server I think, but good to know.
father.mande wrote: 2) ... using pulseaudio require a complementary configuration adapted to each model ... follow the tips & tricks advice
... shortly connect to myHD as root (myHD_root) and use script to test and validate pulseaudio : /myHD_scripts/bin/test_pulse_Intel_config.sh
... at end you get information to change in user environment to be able to use pulseaudio
... THIS is due to the fact that it's the default Ubuntu delivery (so 18.3) BUT not build as Asustor or "standard" APKG specifically for Asustor NAS ... so require some more configuration (one time)
... ALSA is always better in Kodi if you need to use pass-through (AVR or ... )
OK, thanks. For now I think I will stay with ALSA, since this part works well.
father.mande wrote: 3) I never test this situation ... because I keep an HDMI plug pass-through at back of each NAS to be able to use Xvnc_server to access Asportal and Applications for functionnal test (for ex. I test Kodi19 (without sound due to vnc protocol) from my PC at 600 kms of my labs using a VPN ... so for an integrator it's a good first test approach ...
When I will go back to my lab ... I will try to run a test ...
... but using xrandrd --auto HDMIx (x depend of your system) can awake Xorg
... restarting MH-kodi18 as any APKG must be also enough

... to change Xorg or restart it ... it's also an APKG so you can ever use App. Central or usual script /usr/local/AppCentral/xorg(or any APKG name)/CONTROL/start-stop.sh start|stop|restart depend of your request
... if Asportal don't restart ... do the same after restarting Xorg
... take care that the start-stop script can change your terminal environment and generate error using some tools, so do it in a separate terminal if you want to works in parallel .

myHD application MH-xxxx are in fact only "launcher in Asportal to application in myHD" ... so generally don't need to be restarted or enabled again (it's just basic shell script created by an APKG generator)
Here I still have problems. Using xrandr can indeed awake Xorg, but its very unconvenient to use it manually every time. I ended up writing a script that checks xrandr periodically via a poller... it's very ugly, but it works somewhat... it also restarts Kodi everytime the TV gets turned on, because if you reawaken Xorg via xrandr, it messes the fonts on Kodi (and for instance subtitles no longer work, along with file listings etc).

If someone is interested, I can post my script. It's really a hacky workaround that I hate, but not sure if I can do better for now.
father.mande wrote: N.B. myHD use an embedded Ubuntu 18.04 LTS with video acceleration 2.1 (compare to 1.7 provide by Asustor) so if your codec (use vainfo in myHD to get information) is able to accelerate 4k ... you can use it (if hardware support it) be sure to use good cable and you must understand that power supply by HDMI NAS plug is low ... so short is the cable better is the result.
NB1 please consider that I own only ONE NAS with HDMI from Asustor ... so I don't know and test all models ...
Philippe.
I am very surprised by this. What do you mean exactly? I guess what is used in the end is the kernel driver, so the one supplied by Asustor, I dont understand how stuff from the embedded Ubuntu can be used at all at this level. About my hardware - it worked perfectly (even with a long cable) before the software upgrade of ADM, so I know it should work. What do you mean by "if your codec is able to accelerate 4k" ? Which codec?

Anyway this is what vainfo returns:

libva info: VA-API version 1.1.0
libva info: va_getDriverName() returns 0
libva info: Trying to open /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri/i965_drv_video.so
libva info: Found init function __vaDriverInit_1_1
libva info: va_openDriver() returns 0
vainfo: VA-API version: 1.1 (libva 2.1.0)
vainfo: Driver version: Intel i965 driver for Intel(R) Broxton - 2.1.0
vainfo: Supported profile and entrypoints
VAProfileMPEG2Simple : VAEntrypointVLD
VAProfileMPEG2Main : VAEntrypointVLD
VAProfileH264ConstrainedBaseline: VAEntrypointVLD
VAProfileH264ConstrainedBaseline: VAEntrypointEncSlice
VAProfileH264ConstrainedBaseline: VAEntrypointEncSliceLP
VAProfileH264Main : VAEntrypointVLD
VAProfileH264Main : VAEntrypointEncSlice
VAProfileH264Main : VAEntrypointEncSliceLP
VAProfileH264High : VAEntrypointVLD
VAProfileH264High : VAEntrypointEncSlice
VAProfileH264High : VAEntrypointEncSliceLP
VAProfileH264MultiviewHigh : VAEntrypointVLD
VAProfileH264MultiviewHigh : VAEntrypointEncSlice
VAProfileH264StereoHigh : VAEntrypointVLD
VAProfileH264StereoHigh : VAEntrypointEncSlice
VAProfileVC1Simple : VAEntrypointVLD
VAProfileVC1Main : VAEntrypointVLD
VAProfileVC1Advanced : VAEntrypointVLD
VAProfileNone : VAEntrypointVideoProc
VAProfileJPEGBaseline : VAEntrypointVLD
VAProfileJPEGBaseline : VAEntrypointEncPicture
VAProfileVP8Version0_3 : VAEntrypointVLD
VAProfileVP8Version0_3 : VAEntrypointEncSlice
VAProfileHEVCMain : VAEntrypointVLD
VAProfileHEVCMain : VAEntrypointEncSlice
VAProfileHEVCMain10 : VAEntrypointVLD
VAProfileVP9Profile0 : VAEntrypointVLD
father.mande

Re: [myHD 1.0.1] Application server for Kodi, Plex, etc.

Post by father.mande »

Hi elvanor,

myHD is a little complex ...
... when an application is started from Asportal
... this really start application in Ubuntu env.
... so ALL libraries, including VA-API used come from Ubuntu and NOT from A.D.M.
... the only part use is for display, mouse, keyboard the Xorg provide by Asustor and kernel

vainfo is the tools to identify the acceleration available in your hardware
... so HEVC main (8) and main10 are supported as the output said

when you start Kodi or PlexMediaPlayer ... each compare the FOURCC code (codec signature) to the list supported and try to use video acceleration if it match.
so if during encoding a fourCC is used BUT not identified by Kodi or PMP ... acceleration is not used and result is bad.
in each software it's easy to verify (by log) but generally more easy directly in line
... kodi run video go to info icons and video and you have in first line the acceleration used if matching
... pmp : run the video and press i ... look at the middle of the second column of displayed information.

... use log for more detail and reason for not playing correctly

BUT last potential problem is : the driver in the kernel ... if it is not at good level ...the display can be bad ... only Asustor have the hand on this.

Philippe.
NB I am in trek, so please excuse the short response
AS6602T / AS5202T /AS5002T / AS1002T / FS6706T
elvanor

Post by elvanor »

Hello

I understand the libraries come from Ubuntu, but the kernel and Xorg come from Asustor. Since I cannot get the 4K resolution on ADM, I dont see how I could get it in myHD.

I dont use PMP, I'll try to check what you said for Kodi but it seems unrelated to my problem.
father.mande

Post by father.mande »

Hi,
elvanor wrote:Hello
I understand the libraries come from Ubuntu, but the kernel and Xorg come from Asustor. Since I cannot get the 4K resolution on ADM, I dont see how I could get it in myHD.
I dont use PMP, I'll try to check what you said for Kodi but it seems unrelated to my problem.
Hum!, I don't understand, Yes Xorg and kernel come from Asustor, but kernel driver and Xorg are at an enough level, only A.D.M. libraries can't manage the video acceleration for 4k
... when you use myHD ... xranrd and vainfo can return to you the information validated and returned by kernel driver and Xorg
... so if IN myHD vainfo and xrandr return information that resolution and refresh rate (Xorg) and HEVC capabilities (vainfo) correct for playing 4k video ... you can ...

To get more detail on Xorg add logging to start X. (and post log result, so we can have a look to)

After that ... application can force resolution as Asportal to stay in limit for displaying correctly icons ... but when playing video (if you select settings to dynamically manage resolution in software) you can change at start of movie the display resolution even the interface stay in low resolution.

The "patch" developed by some people to use 4k in Xorg is only adding the video libraries nothing more ... in myHD this libraries are by default present.

AND model supporting 4K are announced by Asustor ... so Xorg and resolution are fully provide ...

If you think it's an A.D.M. problem don't hesitate to call (again and again) the support to analyse and solve the problem.
Philippe.
father.mande

Re: [myHD 1.0.2] Application server for Kodi, Plex, etc.

Post by father.mande »

Hi,
New update available :
[Version]
... minor update (can be used from update or fresh install)
... ADD control to verify that ONLY root user (not admin) can run myHD command
... ADD Ubuntu version (so real one) of software installed (if from Ubuntu repository) in complement of APKG version
... ADD colored detail during fresh install of myHD engine : viewtopic.php?f=227&t=10596
... start cleaning code
... solve bugs
For fresh install an updated version of Ubuntu environment (09/30/2019) is now downloaded, not need for existing users (use internal update mechanism to get same level).

Philippe.
servesh

Post by servesh »

Hi Philippe,

I' using myHD 1.0.2 with Kodi18 on Asustor AS6302T with ADM 3.4.5.RBJ3. MH-Kodi18 runs well with no playback or audio issues so far.
However, in the IR remote (Asustor AS-RC13) that comes with the NAS only vol+,vol-,direction keys and power button works.
The other remote buttons such as play/pause, back, settings and homekey doesn't work. Kodi debug log doesn't even detect these keys.

Any info on how the IR remote controls is passed to MH-Kodi18 from myHD env?

Note:
1. The old Kodi17 that I had installed from Asportal(an old copy) works fine with all the keys in the remote.
2. I tried copying the keymaps.xml from the Asportal copy but that doesn't help.
3. I tried checking for the irdevice inside myHD env using irkeytable for devices in /dev/input but no valid IR device is found
4. Is myHD running as a container? do I need to pass any other specific device?

Servesh
father.mande

Post by father.mande »

Hi,
servesh wrote:Hi Philippe,
I' using myHD 1.0.2 with Kodi18 on Asustor AS6302T with ADM 3.4.5.RBJ3. MH-Kodi18 runs well with no playback or audio issues so far.
However, in the IR remote (Asustor AS-RC13) that comes with the NAS only vol+,vol-,direction keys and power button works.
The other remote buttons such as play/pause, back, settings and homekey doesn't work. Kodi debug log doesn't even detect these keys.
Note:
1. The old Kodi17 that I had installed from Asportal(an old copy) works fine with all the keys in the remote.
2. I tried copying the keymaps.xml from the Asportal copy but that doesn't help.
3. I tried checking for the irdevice inside myHD env using irkeytable for devices in /dev/input but no valid IR device is found
Servesh
I know this problem, but don't have solution at this time ...
Asustor lock the remote-control and don't provide information on the model of the receiver nor how it can be used as a "standard" ir remote ...
as I know it's a multiple aspect some key are reported as keyboard entry ... so can be passed to myHD as any keyboard entry (xdotool is used by Asustor in the compiled Python program of remote-control)
some other keys seem to be intercepted by the Asportal windows manager (evilwm rewrited / renamed aswm)

I have ask question about possibility to add the RC driver to have a normal and configurable IR ... but no response
Using hardware debug I have identified Asustor IR as a NEC protocol compatible with dib0700_nec R.C.but no kernel driver tested (by me) create the correct rc Linux device (I have compiled lot of RC device driver in 942 kernel modules)

I will continue to search but it's looking for a needle in a haystack ... when Asustor can solve this in a second ...

I works also on a workaround by adding support for external USB IR receiver ...
Waiting for a good solution, don't forgot that remote control exist for application, for Kodi it's Kore available on smartphone, or a generic RC like droidmote for Android smartphone

myHD run in a separate namespace BUT not in a container ... same technology but less constraint, even security is equal so ALL devices are directly usable.

Philippe.
servesh

Post by servesh »

father.mande wrote:Hi,
servesh wrote:Hi Philippe,
Note:
Servesh
I know this problem, but don't have solution at this time ...
Asustor lock the remote-control and don't provide information on the model of the receiver nor how it can be used as a "standard" ir remote ...
as I know it's a multiple aspect some key are reported as keyboard entry ... so can be passed to myHD as any keyboard entry (xdotool is used by Asustor in the compiled Python program of remote-control)
some other keys seem to be intercepted by the Asportal windows manager (evilwm rewrited / renamed aswm)

I have ask question about possibility to add the RC driver to have a normal and configurable IR ... but no response
Using hardware debug I have identified Asustor IR as a NEC protocol compatible with dib0700_nec R.C.but no kernel driver tested (by me) create the correct rc Linux device (I have compiled lot of RC device driver in 942 kernel modules)

I will continue to search but it's looking for a needle in a haystack ... when Asustor can solve this in a second ...

I works also on a workaround by adding support for external USB IR receiver ...
Waiting for a good solution, don't forgot that remote control exist for application, for Kodi it's Kore available on smartphone, or a generic RC like droidmote for Android smartphone

myHD run in a separate namespace BUT not in a container ... same technology but less constraint, even security is equal so ALL devices are directly usable.

Philippe.
Thanks for the info. I expected it to be such an issue. External USB IR receiver would be a good solution, I will try this out.

I can report using Kodi v18 fixes a lot of issues with video playback I faced on Kodi v17 on some media formats.
jojeta

Post by jojeta »

Hi
A stupid question sorry, you are stating "for getting the APKG go to download section" I have looked and search for that section but I can't find it, what do I have to do?
John
father.mande

Post by father.mande »

Hi,
jojeta wrote:Hi
A stupid question sorry, you are stating "for getting the APKG go to download section" I have looked and search for that section but I can't find it, what do I have to do?
John
It's the [download] section in the FIRST post of this topic ...

Philippe.

Return to “myHD”