[myHD 0.9.4 R.C.4] Application server for Kodi, Plex, etc. on Ubuntu 1604/1804

myHD is an isolated (namespace (mnt, IPC, PID)) Ubuntu environment to run Ubuntu application displayed as ASUSTOR Asportal / Xorg applications.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

father.mande
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Re: [myHD 0.9.1 R.C.1] Application server for Kodi, Plex, etc.

Post by father.mande »

Hi,
Pas wrote:Hello Father_mande thank you for your work
I just want to know how make the update ?
I make a great battle today for install the first version, with great help from french forum.
And now, i see a new version lol
Normally, if I have not do an error ... the update, update only the APKG and don't change anything in the Ubuntu nor in your data and configuration
You just have to go to App. Central / Manual Install ... select the new APKG and answer the common questions.

myHD is able to know that a version already exist and keep config files and Ubuntu environment ... so the update is very quick.
but it's always a BETA ... I hope to minimize errors and problems, but only real users can help me (and others) by testing in real case.

I have only on NAS for dev. and run ... so somethings can run on my system and have problem (small I hope) on other NAS.

Philippe.
AS6602T / AS5202T /AS5002T / AS1002T / FS6706T
Pas

Post by Pas »

i am understand, thank you
peterk80

Post by peterk80 »

New version working great so far. Thx for the quick support.

Peter.
joethelion

Post by joethelion »

I have installed myHD but it asks for a username and password, that are not the admin ones ('the site says "myHD_area" '), am I doing something wrong?
peterk80

Post by peterk80 »

joethelion wrote:I have installed myHD but it asks for a username and password, that are not the admin ones ('the site says "myHD_area" '), am I doing something wrong?
Ussrname: myhd Password: asusfr1

Greets Peter.
peterk80

Post by peterk80 »

Dear Father.Mande i was wondering if there is a way to update the video/hdmi drivers on the NAS without an update from asustor? And is it possible to update ffmpeg and xorg without an update from asustor? So that we can do it ourselves.

Greets Peter.
joethelion

Post by joethelion »

peterk80 wrote:
joethelion wrote:I have installed myHD but it asks for a username and password, that are not the admin ones ('the site says "myHD_area" '), am I doing something wrong?
Ussrname: myhd Password: asusfr1

Greets Peter.
Thank you! I managed to pass that step and actually installed myHD, but I think I couldn`t mount the media folder. Kodi opens and everything but I can`t find my files :(
father.mande

Post by father.mande »

Hi,
joethelion wrote: Thank you! I managed to pass that step and actually installed myHD, but I think I couldn`t mount the media folder. Kodi opens and everything but I can`t find my files :(
As explain in post and video ... by security myHD is isolated, so can't access any data in your NAS up you decide yourself to authorize myHD to access it.
Adding folder (in fact shared resources)is done in two (2) step
1 ... define folder ( /share/XXXX ) to add
2 ... restart myHD to apply

To define folder you can use WebUI or terminal mode
WebUI
use the BLUE menu "GO to visible shared Mngt."
then Black menu "Add shared folder visible by myHD"
... a list of all your folder is displayed select one then click on ADDING button
... ... you get the status return (WebUI is BETA, so for ex. a share already define is accepted BUT when you click ADDING ... return is : refused already added
... to have the list use "List visible shared resources"

When it's done restart myHD

Terminal (in a root / your_password SSH session use :
myHD add_include_folder [MOUNT_FOLDER_PATH_IN_myHD] ex. : myHD add_include_folder /share/Media
to list :
myHD list_include_folder

then restart :
myHD restart

Information exist, but all my message are in the common flow (not grouped) ... so search is require

Philippe.
father.mande

Post by father.mande »

Hi,
peterk80 wrote:Dear Father.Mande i was wondering if there is a way to update the video/hdmi drivers on the NAS without an update from asustor? And is it possible to update ffmpeg and xorg without an update from asustor? So that we can do it ourselves.
Greets Peter.
All is possible but is it reasonable ... compare to resources need to do it ??
For ffmpeg is not a problem ... it's just an application, so using ffmpeg can be updated (even inside myHD), after it's the easy to used
... ... even a second point exist if Asustor applications use ffmpeg are you sure that this application can use a new version and if the call of ffmpeg in in script or code ... this imply to replace the actual ffmpeg or to change the application using it ... not so simple
If the application is in myHD no problem ex.: Plex Media Player use embedded mpv media player build from the last github ffmpeg

for Xorg it's more complex, if you forgot Asportal and use your own WM, it's possible (even I repeat not easy) to use Xorg in myHD and any WM in myHD
based on supposition we rebuild Xorg in A.D.M. (or use myHD)
... ... BUT with ONE BIG problem : THE KERNEL MODULES that certainly require to be rebuild for the A.D.M. kernel to get advantage of new function
... ... so for my AS5002T this require modules i915, drm, drm_kms_helper (perhaps partial works) ??? but it's a risk
... ... same unknown status with HDMI sound, normally independent but ???

after that the second problem is for application provided by Asustor and their compatibility ???

I suppose the less difficult can be to update the libva (video acceleration) to 1.18.3 this is a first test and also offer a compatibility with libva 2.x some new applications
in all case Xorg is stable from long time, so only interest is : update kernel modules if kernel is at the correct level (ex. last Intel driver are for kernel 4.15 (like Ubuntu 18.04 L.T.S.) when Asustor NAS kernel is 4.4
and an update of libva .

in summary, the best is to convince people to ask to Asustor a "feature wanted" request on kernel / Xorg

my Opinion is the first feature to ask to Asutor is to change the aswm (windows manager of asportal) that are too minimalist based on evilwm) to a light but supporting decoration and in option multitask W.M. (ex. openbox even Asustor keep is proper "menu" Asportal application on it.
This can open to a new usage for NAS as secondary working station (when it's a monitor and not a TV connected) and on TV to other more integration.

But, as you, I don't have any "weight" to suggest any things to Asustor.

Philippe.
peterk80

Post by peterk80 »

father.mande wrote:Hi,
peterk80 wrote:Dear Father.Mande i was wondering if there is a way to update the video/hdmi drivers on the NAS without an update from asustor? And is it possible to update ffmpeg and xorg without an update from asustor? So that we can do it ourselves.
Greets Peter.
All is possible but is it reasonable ... compare to resources need to do it ??
For ffmpeg is not a problem ... it's just an application, so using ffmpeg can be updated (even inside myHD), after it's the easy to used
... ... even a second point exist if Asustor applications use ffmpeg are you sure that this application can use a new version and if the call of ffmpeg in in script or code ... this imply to replace the actual ffmpeg or to change the application using it ... not so simple
If the application is in myHD no problem ex.: Plex Media Player use embedded mpv media player build from the last github ffmpeg

for Xorg it's more complex, if you forgot Asportal and use your own WM, it's possible (even I repeat not easy) to use Xorg in myHD and any WM in myHD
based on supposition we rebuild Xorg in A.D.M. (or use myHD)
... ... BUT with ONE BIG problem : THE KERNEL MODULES that certainly require to be rebuild for the A.D.M. kernel to get advantage of new function
... ... so for my AS5002T this require modules i915, drm, drm_kms_helper (perhaps partial works) ??? but it's a risk
... ... same unknown status with HDMI sound, normally independent but ???

after that the second problem is for application provided by Asustor and their compatibility ???

I suppose the less difficult can be to update the libva (video acceleration) to 1.18.3 this is a first test and also offer a compatibility with libva 2.x some new applications
in all case Xorg is stable from long time, so only interest is : update kernel modules if kernel is at the correct level (ex. last Intel driver are for kernel 4.15 (like Ubuntu 18.04 L.T.S.) when Asustor NAS kernel is 4.4
and an update of libva .

in summary, the best is to convince people to ask to Asustor a "feature wanted" request on kernel / Xorg

my Opinion is the first feature to ask to Asutor is to change the aswm (windows manager of asportal) that are too minimalist based on evilwm) to a light but supporting decoration and in option multitask W.M. (ex. openbox even Asustor keep is proper "menu" Asportal application on it.
This can open to a new usage for NAS as secondary working station (when it's a monitor and not a TV connected) and on TV to other more integration.

But, as you, I don't have any "weight" to suggest any things to Asustor.

Philippe.
OK. So it isn't simple, I understand now. Whats the best way to ask those Things from asustor? Do you think it's
worth the trouble? Does asustor really listens to Feature requests?

Return to “myHD”