Help using Linux

Linux Center is Linux Container APP, can run different isolated Linux systems on Asustor Nas system using a single Linux kernel.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

yttrium6
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Help using Linux

Post by yttrium6 »

Hello there, I am new to linux (and ASUS, I came from QNAP, but never used their linuxstation), I need GUI apps-I am without time to learn CMD-line. I am hoping someone can help me. I loaded the ADM linux desktop, but there is no app store. Where do I go to get apps? Even if I get apps, how do I install them? I don't understand this format, I guess Linux doesn't use .exe files to install apps? I need a GUI-based app for finding duplicate files. I will also look into a much wider variety of linux apps if I can find the "app-store" or whatever/wherever someone goes to find apps for linux. Thanks for your help!

In case it matters, I have the latest ADM, and a brand new AS6604T with raid-5 (4x4-tb drives)

-JP
Nazar78

Re: Help using Linux

Post by Nazar78 »

Hi,

You can try GUI based app manager like https://wiki.debian.org/Synaptic.

The thing is with Linux you will eventually need to get your hands dirty learning some useful cmd lines like installing apps using the deb package manager i.e. "apt update && apt install htop". With cmd lines you can also install utilities like fdupes or fslint to find duplicates which both are available from the Debian 10 repos.
AS5304T - 16GB DDR4 - ADM-OS modded on 2GB RAM
Internal:
- 4x10TB Toshiba RAID10 Ext4-Journal=Off
External 5 Bay USB3:
- 4x2TB Seagate modded RAID0 Btrfs-Compression
- 480GB Intel SSD for modded dm-cache (initramfs auto update patch) and Apps

When posting, consider checking the box "Notify me when a reply is posted" to get faster response
yttrium6

Post by yttrium6 »

Thanks for your reply. I will check out the link!
yttrium6

Post by yttrium6 »

Ok, I am confused, I found synaptic, but I can't find how to compile it, what directory has the "executable." I got the files on the drive. I kept double clicking randomly and got one thing that said something about "this package doesn't work with Wayland..." Researching that was more confusing and led to something called Xorg, but the Bustor that came with Asustor doesn't have any Xorg, there is an Xfce,but that doesn't lead anywhere. What should I do next?
orion

Post by orion »

yttrium6 wrote:I loaded the ADM linux desktop, but there is no app store.
ADM desktop should have an icon, call App Central. You can find xorg app there. Not sure what apps you are trying to find... Anyway, if you are trying to find any apps that does not exist in App Central, you should need linux command knowledge.
Nazar78

Post by Nazar78 »

yttrium6 wrote:Ok, I am confused, I found synaptic, but I can't find how to compile it, what directory has the "executable." I got the files on the drive. I kept double clicking randomly and got one thing that said something about "this package doesn't work with Wayland..." Researching that was more confusing and led to something called Xorg, but the Bustor that came with Asustor doesn't have any Xorg, there is an Xfce,but that doesn't lead anywhere. What should I do next?
Try

Code: Select all

apt update && apt install synaptic
AS5304T - 16GB DDR4 - ADM-OS modded on 2GB RAM
Internal:
- 4x10TB Toshiba RAID10 Ext4-Journal=Off
External 5 Bay USB3:
- 4x2TB Seagate modded RAID0 Btrfs-Compression
- 480GB Intel SSD for modded dm-cache (initramfs auto update patch) and Apps

When posting, consider checking the box "Notify me when a reply is posted" to get faster response

Return to “Linux-Center”