Piece of Crap

Linux Center is Linux Container APP, can run different isolated Linux systems on Asustor Nas system using a single Linux kernel.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

Nox71
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Piece of Crap

Post by Nox71 »

Wow man, what a piece of crap to add when you think that it would allow you to do something because running Docker container is a nightmare on this device compared to Synology or Unraid. Asus you are late on the NAS market and i regret my purchase of this thing since on my SYnology everything was working and on that ADM it's a nightmare.

Linux Center is useless out of the box, it wont autostart with the NAS, it won't allow me to install any app since i gettting error after error when trying to do an apt-update or apt-upgrade or install any app from an external source. I have spent so may hours with this and the Docker app that i am thinking now to send back the unit and buy another Synology.
mariusft

Re: Piece of Crap

Post by mariusft »

Seem the kernel version doesn't allow to update libc6 on Dev v8 from Linux Center.
Preinstall scripts expects to have numbers and they find non integer.
Kernels requires numbers instead of letters for the first 3 groups of digits: <numeric>.<numeric>.<numeric> now we have <numeric>.<numeric>.<character>

4.14.x should be something like 4.14.nn

Preparing to unpack .../libc6_2.19-18+deb8u10_amd64.deb ...
/var/lib/dpkg/tmp.ci/preinst: 381: [: Illegal number:
/var/lib/dpkg/tmp.ci/preinst: 18: /var/lib/dpkg/tmp.ci/preinst: arithmetic expression: expecting primary: "4 * 10000 + 14 * 100 + "
father.mande

Post by father.mande »

Hi,
mariusft wrote:Seem the kernel version doesn't allow to update libc6 on Dev v8 from Linux Center.
Preinstall scripts expects to have numbers and they find non integer.
Kernels requires numbers instead of letters for the first 3 groups of digits: <numeric>.<numeric>.<numeric> now we have <numeric>.<numeric>.<character>
4.14.x should be something like 4.14.nn
Preparing to unpack .../libc6_2.19-18+deb8u10_amd64.deb ...
/var/lib/dpkg/tmp.ci/preinst: 381: [: Illegal number:
/var/lib/dpkg/tmp.ci/preinst: 18: /var/lib/dpkg/tmp.ci/preinst: arithmetic expression: expecting primary: "4 * 10000 + 14 * 100 + "
The Linux in Asustor is not a standard distribution, but more an embedded Linux with private tools to manage function generally done via scripts (or systemd)
It's always possible to patch applications (and kernel) to avoid stop based on malformed version number ex. 4.14.x ... so without a number at last value

The solution is to repack the .deb after do a short modification in preinst shell script
Another is to discuss directly with libc6 dev. team ... for ex. I have worked with team developing strace tool to integrate the support of malformed kernel version ... so now I have a solution to use strace with 4.14.x when the default strace ... crash due to malformed kernel version.

N.B. using a letter is not "common" but totally possible in kernel version ... but not integrated by lot of script developer (build from long time ago ... like Debian install script)
Philippe.
AS6602T / AS5202T /AS5002T / AS1002T / FS6706T
Nazar78

Post by Nazar78 »

I used to repack the deb packages like Philippe mentioned but now I do this, rename the /bin/uname to /bin/uname.asustor, create a new file /bin/uname with cat contents below then chmod it to 0755. Save the trouble of repacking and it works everytime upgrading libc6 even with strace. Hope this helps.

Code: Select all

(LXC)admin@Ubuntu:~$ cat `which uname`
#!/bin/sh

/bin/uname.asustor "$@"|sed 's/\.x/\.0/g'
(LXC)admin@Ubuntu:~$ uname -a
Linux Ubuntu 4.14.0 #1 SMP Tue Mar 24 00:37:44 CST 202
0 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
(LXC)admin@Ubuntu:~$
AS5304T - 16GB DDR4 - ADM-OS modded on 2GB RAM
Internal:
- 4x10TB Toshiba RAID10 Ext4-Journal=Off
External 5 Bay USB3:
- 4x2TB Seagate modded RAID0 Btrfs-Compression
- 480GB Intel SSD for modded dm-cache (initramfs auto update patch) and Apps

When posting, consider checking the box "Notify me when a reply is posted" to get faster response
father.mande

Post by father.mande »

Hi,

Yes it's a good solution for containers ... not for ADM itself (for all potential applications)

Thanks to share.

NB Sorry ... for an unknown reason ... I don't understand that the question is for containers (LXC or APKG using private namespace without LXC limit) so my response was a possibility but for any Linux and not for this specific case.

Philippe.
AS6602T / AS5202T /AS5002T / AS1002T / FS6706T

Return to “Linux-Center”