Problem replacing HDD in Slot-1

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

Tarl Cabot
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Problem replacing HDD in Slot-1

Post by Tarl Cabot »

Background: Bought a new 6302T to replace a dead 5102T and decided to replace the aging drives as well with two new identical drives, and same RAID-1 config. First, I migrated the old HDDs from the 5102T into the new 6302T without incident. The new NAS booted and operated normally with the old drives, and I waited a week to ensure it was functioning properly. Satisfied it was, I began replacing the old drives, hot-swapping the drive in Slot-2 first. The NAS recognized the new drive, rebuilt the volume, and began normal operation with the new HDD in Slot-2 and an old HDD in Slot-1.

Issue: I used the same procedure to hot-swap the drive in Slot-1. The NAS recognizes the drive accurately in Storage Manager via the ADM web interface, but does nothing else. Doesn't rebuild the volume, no expected disk activity, nothing. When I view the NAS in the ACC app, it says the NAS is uninitialized, and brings up an initialization page which I of course abort. When I put the original old HDD back into Slot-1, the NAS works fine.

I'm really at a loss here folks, this is supposed to be a simple process. Am I missing something? Asustor's knowledgebase is predictably thin, with only two lines of instruction for replacing drives in RAID-1: (1: Hot-swap the drive, and 2: watch volume being rebuilt in Storage Manager). Also, nothing appears to be wrong with the new HDD itself as I can connect/format/transfer files with it when installed in a different platform.
AS-6302T with Crucial 8GB RAM Kit (2x4GB) DDR3L 1600 PC3-12800 1.35V CL11
2x4TB Western Digital NAS Red Plus - RAID-1
BIOS: v1.29 ADM: 3.5.2.RAG2 (Dec '20)
Asustor Remote - Logitech Wireless keyboard/mouse

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." Arthur C. Clarke
Nazar78

Re: Problem replacing HDD in Slot-1

Post by Nazar78 »

You can't just hot swap to a new larger disk. Use the Storage Manager Wizard to up size your existing disks. Refer to the point 3 of https://www.asustor.com/en-gb/online/Co ... ?topic=352
AS5304T - 16GB DDR4 - ADM-OS modded on 2GB RAM
Internal:
- 4x10TB Toshiba RAID10 Ext4-Journal=Off
External 5 Bay USB3:
- 4x2TB Seagate modded RAID0 Btrfs-Compression
- 480GB Intel SSD for modded dm-cache (initramfs auto update patch) and Apps

When posting, consider checking the box "Notify me when a reply is posted" to get faster response
Tarl Cabot

Post by Tarl Cabot »

Nazar78 wrote:You can't just hot swap to a new larger disk.
Thanks, but who said anything about swapping to a larger disk? I'm pretty sure I said I was replacing the old drives with two new identical drives.
AS-6302T with Crucial 8GB RAM Kit (2x4GB) DDR3L 1600 PC3-12800 1.35V CL11
2x4TB Western Digital NAS Red Plus - RAID-1
BIOS: v1.29 ADM: 3.5.2.RAG2 (Dec '20)
Asustor Remote - Logitech Wireless keyboard/mouse

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." Arthur C. Clarke
Nazar78

Post by Nazar78 »

No matter identical or not it's pretty obvious if you do a quick research. The array needs to have the removed drive marked as fail prior swapping then readding for rebuild hence the wizard. Good luck.
AS5304T - 16GB DDR4 - ADM-OS modded on 2GB RAM
Internal:
- 4x10TB Toshiba RAID10 Ext4-Journal=Off
External 5 Bay USB3:
- 4x2TB Seagate modded RAID0 Btrfs-Compression
- 480GB Intel SSD for modded dm-cache (initramfs auto update patch) and Apps

When posting, consider checking the box "Notify me when a reply is posted" to get faster response
orion

Post by orion »

Tarl Cabot wrote: Issue: I used the same procedure to hot-swap the drive in Slot-1. The NAS recognizes the drive accurately in Storage Manager via the ADM web interface, but does nothing else. Doesn't rebuild the volume, no expected disk activity, nothing. When I view the NAS in the ACC app, it says the NAS is uninitialized, and brings up an initialization page which I of course abort. When I put the original old HDD back into Slot-1, the NAS works fine.
It seems that your ADM web page is asking you to initialize NAS?! Did you reboot NAS? You should not reboot NAS, simply hot-swap drive in slot-1. You should open ADM web page (storage manager) all the time during you replace drive. The page should should show you the progresses. If it's not the case, you should contact to asustor support directly.

Return to “[Official] For AS63XX/64XX Series”