6404T Excessive HD activity?

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

Project86
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

6404T Excessive HD activity?

Post by Project86 »

I own and love the 6404T but am noticing something that seems a bit off to me. Lately I feel the drives are constantly "working" for lack of a better word. I hear them doing what sounds like a lot of work, as in sustained transfers or scans or something. Not just a little blip here and there, but pretty continuous.

Checking ADM, I see little to no network activity. But the drives themselves (3x 8TB WD Red drives in RAID5) each show 500-800KB/sec data movement. I've disabled Roon, Kodi, Google Drive, and everything else I can think of which might have some sort of background scan taking place. So I just can't figure out why the drives are so active. I don't believe the system will sleep with all this happening so it is working my drives more than they need to be worked.

I'm on the latest firmware and again, generally quite pleased with the 6404T, but I'd love some input into this.
orion

Re: 6404T Excessive HD activity?

Post by orion »

If you did not start other tasks, there should be certain background tasks (for example, create photo thumbnails). Normally those tasks should cease operations after a period.

You can use ADM web -> Settings -> Hardware -> Diagnostic tool to find out which processes are working. To use the tool, you'll start it and close ADM web page. Then wait for the task to gather information (duration is showed within that tool). After that, go to that page and check result.
Project86

Re: 6404T Excessive HD activity?

Post by Project86 »

Thanks, I have used that tool on my older Asustor NAS to figure out why it wasn't properly going to sleep. Will check it out on this unit and see if I can find what is causing the activity. I understand there are certain background scans/metadata/etc that might need to happen but it just feels like the thing is always going. Maybe I just happen to always be there when it does its thing though.

Return to “[Official] For AS63XX/64XX Series”