HDMI-CEC or HDMI Control

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

Robi
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

HDMI-CEC or HDMI Control

Post by Robi »

Do any of these NAS support or recognize these features. It's starting to look like this capability is what my Samsung 4K "Smart" TV wants to use to "turn on" my NAS, even though my NAS is powered on and has been for over 24 hours.
father.mande

Re: HDMI-CEC or HDMI Control

Post by father.mande »

Hi,
Robi wrote:Do any of these NAS support or recognize these features. It's starting to look like this capability is what my Samsung 4K "Smart" TV wants to use to "turn on" my NAS, even though my NAS is powered on and has been for over 24 hours.
Based on Intel specification of the I.G.P. include in Processor series ... : NO ... so it's not an Asustor direct problem ...
BUT as usual workaround exist like : Pulse-Eight Adapter USB-CEC (put HDMI cable from NAS, other hand HDMI to TV then USB to NAS) get it in Amazon or other platform

Some applications (like in myHD APKG) can use it without any added configuration.

This can change in case new I.G.P. from Intel or external graphic card will be proposed by Asustor.

Last I have not checked all the new Asustor series, so perhaps some good news ... BUT look at Intel CPU description (on Intel site) it's indicated.

Philippe.
NB it's the same with other NAS brand using Intel processor (and some integrated AMD)
AS6602T / AS5202T /AS5002T / AS1002T / FS6706T
Robi

Post by Robi »

Thank you Padre Mande! As with many technical problems, asking the question properly is more important than anything. Your response sounds easy, except there's a AV receiver between the NAS and the TV. I don't anticipate that being a problem since the DirecTV receiver, also plugged into the receiver works fine and the receiver displays it's "logo" on the TV when a powered down player input is selected.
father.mande

Post by father.mande »

Hi,
Robi wrote:Thank you Padre Mande! As with many technical problems, asking the question properly is more important than anything. Your response sounds easy, except there's a AV receiver between the NAS and the TV. I don't anticipate that being a problem since the DirecTV receiver, also plugged into the receiver works fine and the receiver displays it's "logo" on the TV when a powered down player input is selected.
"Padre Mande" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You problem is complex, because CEC is build to work between point to point hardware BUT is divided in multiple groups of commands
ex. multimedia commands (CEC "deck control") are not the same aspect than CEC "remote control pass-through" set or your usage CEC "System Stanby" set of commands

also this require to have enough keys on remote control (except for some set like put all in standby or power off when power of the TV (or the Sender)
ex. if from TV you press "play" this can be transmitted to media sender (a NAS if they support CEC directly or a Pulse-Eight) to an application able to understand CEC command like Kodi (fr ex.)
BUT "sound up" is not transmitted (except if TV can be configured as pass-through) to the media sender application but used by the TV itself

As I know (but I am limited) no gateway for CEC are implemented ...

The remote control command can be (if CEC implemented) from one to the HDMI linked other ... but not re-transmitted to another tiers through a separate HDMI link
so TV can command AV-receiver (and reverse) NAS (if CEC) can command AV and AV can command NAS BUT without direct HDMI link TV can't command NAS through AV-receiver

So I am not sure that an easy solution exist (but some workaround can be used (ex. a remote control configurable for 2 targets in one (ex. tv and AV command on the same (I have one remote having this) and a Pulse-Eight from tv to NAS if NAS is not near the TV ... but it's hands on.

I am not an expert in CEC ... so ask Asustor support ... Also I am not up to date for CEC configuration (I integrate to use it when porting Kodi on NAS in the past), sorry to don't be able to help you .

Philippe.
AS6602T / AS5202T /AS5002T / AS1002T / FS6706T

Return to “[Official] For AS63XX/64XX Series”