Share sub-folder

mbuette
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Share sub-folder

Post by mbuette »

I'm looking to migrate from a windows file server and have run into an unexpected problem. I have a share named "Public" which is readable by "everyone" with folders like videos, music, software etc. It also contains a folder named "_Incoming" which is also shared as "Incoming" and writable by "everyone". I'm trying to recreate that on my AS4004T NAS running ADM 3.5.6.RHA2, but I'm stumped, there does not seem to be an option to share subfolders? And if I create a new shared folder, I can only select a Volume but I cannot specify an existing path? Am I overlooking something here? Any ideas would be appreciated...
Thanks in advance!
orion

Re: Share sub-folder

Post by orion »

This behavior is normal. If you plan to assign access rights under sub-folder for each user, you should enable ACL.
mbuette

Post by mbuette »

I have Windows ACLs enabled and what you're thinking off is working. But... :-)

What I'd like to achieve is the following: share local path /volume1/public as "public" and share local path /volume1/public/_INCOMING as "incoming".

This way allows me to share "public" read-only for everyone and read-write for only the admins. This gives me an additional layer of security in case I screw up the permissions since the permissions are AND'ed: You need share permissions AND Windows ACL permissions to perform an operation. What the security folks call "defense in depth".
orion

Post by orion »

No, ADM does not support what you said.
mbuette

Post by mbuette »

OK ,already suspected that. Thanks for the confirmation!

Return to “[Official] For AS40XX Series”